CD-rom issues

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I have a computer that is having an issue with cd-roms. Windows xp sees it in device manager(as does BIOS) but it refuses to show up in my computer. Windows has the error code "windows can't load the device driver....may be corrupted or missing...code 39"

So far I have tried resetting BIOS, a brand new cd-rom, switching ide channels with the hard drive, different ide cables, unistall/reinstall device, using system restore, and of course screaming profanity at it :D

I looked into the registry about the known issue with XP and missing cd-rom/cd-rw but I didn't find the entry they were specifying.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    are you on SP1 or SP2?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    You might try to replace the file "atapi.sys" in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. If you do a search for the file you probably have several copies stashed away in Service Pack folders, etc. I'd compare the file sizes to see if the original has been corrupted somehow.

You might also try uninstalling your IDE Controllers. Windows will find them again. That should also resolve any DMA issues with the drives.
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited January 2005
    The computer has SP2, and I just tried un-installing the IDE controllers with no luck. About to take a look for the "atapi.sys" file....
    edited January 2005
    no luck with the atapi.sys file. I replaced the one C:\Windows\System32\Drivers with one from a service pack folder that had the same date and size. Then I tried replacing it with one from a backup folder of some sort that was dated 2002 and was slightly smaller but didn't have any luck either.

\\EDIT I also tried adding another cd-rw to the primary channel as a slave to the hard drive and both are displaying the same error message in windows.
    edited January 2005
    Can you boot from a CD? If so, that eliminates it being a hardware problem.

I found this at another site:
    Go to Device Manager and remove your CD-ROM's by right-clicking on them and choosing "Remove" under CD/DVD ROM drives.

Look under IDE Controllers to see if anything looks unusual there.

Click "Cancel" each time it prompts you to restart.

Then, go to Start >Run, and type:
    regedit

Find this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the right pane.

Shut down your machine. Check all the connections on the drives and the mainboard to be sure they are firmly in place.

Then, reboot and see if they work.

I searched my registry and found lots of devices in this category. Make sure you only modify your CD drives.

I'd export anything you plan to delete before you delete it!
    edited January 2005
    I removed the "lowerfilter" from the registry and it seemed to do the trick! Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
    edited January 2005
    :thumbsup: :woowoo:
  • LesLes
    edited September 2005
    Hi all, I am a newcomer and an "oldie" to boot.

Have been given a fathers-day gift by my son-in-law, but it's only an old P11 excess company asset.

IBM P11
    400mhz
    320 ram
    30 gig HDD split into 2 @ 87 & 13

It has been wiped as one would expect.

Trying to put on Win98SE so that I can put all data from other P1 onto it.

Using Samsung CD Rom driver, but error keeps showing for:

C:\SAMSUNG\MSCDEX /D:SSCD000 /P:1F0,14,0

Illegal Option "P"
    Usage: MSCDEX [/E/K/S/V] [Driver>...] [/L:,Letter>] F/M:<Buffers>]

Any help would much appreciated.

Thanks,

Les
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2005
    Hi Les,

first of all welcome to Short-Media :celebrate

Since the hard drive's been wiped, you might like to try reformatting it with a standard 98SE floppy that uses a generic cdrom drive, then insert your 98SE cd.

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • LesLes
    edited September 2005
    Cryto, thanks for that.

The original Red Sealed Boot Disk that came with Windows 98 series does not have Format command. That's why I am trying to get the two Samsung config and auto files tweaked.

It needs a few xtras added so may have to take it to pc-guru friend of a girlfriend, don't really want to spend too much on it, as I have been looking for a laptop.

Your Asus I believe is a very good machine.

Thanks again,

Les.

Ps. Don't want to dissapoint the son-in-law's fathers day gift!.

les
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2005
    Hi Les,

you can get a copy of 98SE boot disk (OEM version) here

See if that one includes the format command. :)

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • LesLes
    edited October 2005
    Hi Crypto, has it been that long since I was here!!!!.

CDROM was stuffed, so that was replaced and things are starting to run.

Have just bought a Flash Stick to transfer data over from the old machine and notice the 2 USB's on the newer/older pc USB connections are that much smaller the flash stick doesn't quite fit.

It's probably the IBM case being too small!!.

Oh well the trusty old 3.5 floppy still has it's uses.

Regards,

Les