Just starting

Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
edited January 2005 in Internet & Media
Hello there,

I have decided I would really like to know how to program and I was wondering what would be the best language to start with. I have been told Visual Basic is a good starting point, but what about QBasic? is there any difference between the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Depending on what language you feel is best, what would be a good book/site to learn said language from.

Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited January 2005
    What type of programming would you like to do?
    console?
    GUI?
    Games?

If Console . . . use Perl, C or C++.
    if GUI use C++, C# or VB.
    if Games, use C++.
    If Web use PHP.

That's just my opinion.
    I started off with Perl and really liked it (still do) because it was very easy to pick up.
    I didn't have to be concerned with whether or not a variable was going to be used to store an integer or a character or a floating-point number or a string . . . it didn't matter, perl adapted.

C++ is my favorite over-all language but PHP is the language I use most often. In fact, I haven't used C++ in a very very long time.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited January 2005
    Hello there,

It seems to me, that since I don't know exactly where I want to be going with programming, C++ is a must for pretty much anything. Thanks for the help, I'm going to go check out some books on C++ see what I like.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • edited January 2005
    php has got to be one of the easiet languages to learn i've run across lately, and it runs command line too. i'd use it to get down basic programming, then go on to c++ or java.
    edited January 2005
    Hello there,

Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'll take the suggestions and work on PHP and then move to C++ or Java depending what I feel will be best.

Thanks again,
    Alex
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited January 2005
    PHP is great. It's similar to Perl which made my learning PHP much simpler.
    edited January 2005
    Now I'm just confused. Everyone keeps saying that this made learning this easier, but this is a good idea, and it keeps going in circles. Now I'm super confused again. Though it seems PHP is a good idea, so I'll stick with that.

So many languages...AAAAAAAAHHHHHH :bawling: :bawling:

Thanks,
    Alex
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited January 2005
    ;D

I taught myself a pretty good amount of VB back in 5th or 6th grade. Then, for some bizarre reason (as always happens), as soon as I can make stuff work, I get bored with it (same with HTML). So, about 2 years ago, I taught myself C++. I got a little ways into it and just ... stopped. I'd have to say for beginners, BASIC/VB/QBASIC is easiest. It uses full words which helps to understand concepts. C++ is way more concise, organized, and powerful. But it's hard lol. I've never tried PHP, though now I might :D Good luck :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Now that PHP is going object oriented, I'd use that as a foundation. Learn PHP and you'll understand objects and then you can move on to C++.