SM 20 reboots every 60 days

gtghmgtghm New
edited February 2005 in Folding@Home
Ok heres a weird one... SM20 rocks right along and the only reason that its not run for longer than 60 days at a time is because everytime it gets to the 60th day the computer automatically reboots itself... I can not find an obvious cause for that, does anyone out there know why it might do that or what to look for?

Other than that she's an awsome producer...

Oh and by chance could I get a bigger hard drive for her in the future?

Currently its a 1.5gb drive and with the OS alone its at 89% full. I'm able to work around it for the most part but sometimes she gets too full and I have to dump stuff...

I have installed the OS with only the bare bones stuff and then gone in and removed as much of the windows componets just to make room. Its impossible to update the OS cause there is not enough room for the decompression of the new files....

As it stands now she's cooking along and she's been that way from day one so its not something that is obviously hindering her ability to perform but it would be nice to have a little extra room if I could get it.

Thanks,
"g"

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    What OS are you running? I seem to recall hearing about some bug with Win98 (maybe Win2K) where after so many hours (it was a lot) the system would lock up or reboot. I think there was a patch to fix it.

I'm not sure what spare HD's we have in the SMx stash, but I'll be happy to send you one that's bigger than 1.5GB. I'll have to check, but I think I have a few good 8.4GB drives and a 10GB drive that I have offered to the team before. I might even have a 20GB drive if you think you need that much. (It's been a while since I used the terms "20GB" and "that much" in the same sentence.) :D
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    Running XP Pro, but no SPs cause I can't get enough room on the drive.... It must be the bug that you were talking about that happends after a huge amount of hours up.

I'm sure that 8 to 10gb would be more than enough... 1.5 is just a wee bit too small.

Like I said she's been goin on fo a while now this way, its just that it would be nice to have a bit more room :)

Thanks,
    "g"
    edited January 2005
    Let me test 'em again just to make sure I don't send you a dud. :D

PM me a mailing address and I'll get one out ASAP. :thumbsup::fold:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Let me test 'em again just to make sure I don't send you a dud. :D

PM me a mailing address and I'll get one out ASAP. :thumbsup::fold:

YGPM
    edited January 2005
    gtghm wrote:
    YGPM
    So do you. :D

Go Team 93!!!!!!!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    Great Work Guys. 2k will easily fit on there.
    edited February 2005
    It took me a little longer than I anticipated, but the Hard Drive is now on its way to the West Coast. It only cost about a buck more to ship it "Priority Mail", which the P.O. claims will get it there in 2-3 days.

I also included a little drive utility which might make a complete reinstall unnecessary. :D

Go Team 93!!!!!!! :thumbsup::fold:
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2005
    maybe you're running out of room for paging or something? the new hd will fix it im sure
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited February 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    It took me a little longer than I anticipated, but the Hard Drive is now on its way to the West Coast. It only cost about a buck more to ship it "Priority Mail", which the P.O. claims will get it there in 2-3 days.

I also included a little drive utility which might make a complete reinstall unnecessary. :D

Go Team 93!!!!!!! :thumbsup::fold:

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for it... ;)

"g"
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited February 2005
    Sm20's new hard drive arrived today, :thumbsup: It will be until the weekend before I can trade it out.

Thanks, :D
    "g"
    edited February 2005
    :celebrate

Wow! When the P.O. said 2-3 days I figured they weren't counting Saturday and Sunday. I didn't think it would get there until Wednesday.

Good luck, "g"! :)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited February 2005
    Just a quick update, SM20 HD exchange went well. She's cranking along just fine and dandy. ;)

Thanks to profdlp for the HD. I'll keep the old 1.5gb drive for an emergency spare.

Cheers and Fold on, :fold:
    "g"