Logjam with Windows XP Updates

PolockPolock Byron, IL.
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I'm down to my last system to install the SP2 udate and as the old saying goes, "I've saved the best for last".

I need to clear the logjam I have before I try the SP2 update, but I'm lost with the way the new v5 updater works and where it puts the downloads. If I run Windows update and check the Details of the download,

it shows Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773) with the Total size of 0 KB and 0 minutes to download.

If I click on install, a window happily tells me the "Updates were unable to be successfully installed".

This all started back last summer when I updated to the v5 updater when it was in the beta stage and I've been looking for cures ever since.

What I would like to try is removing all the downloaded updates, just in case it was corrupt...but where are they downloaded too? I found a folder called SoftwareDistribution under C:\Windows, but am hesitant in deleting it's contents without a thorough understanding of what's what.

Part 2 of what I would like to try, is remove the v5 beta updater I have installed. Can that be deleted from the Downloaded Program Files folder?

Being somewhat of a novice, I really appreciate any guidance.

Polock :scratch:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    You could try this.
  • PolockPolock Byron, IL.
    edited February 2005
    Black Hawk wrote:
    You could try this.

I'll give it a try and see how it works. That's for the tip...

Nice avatar :D Are they real? :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    Black Hawk wrote:
    You could try this.

Gave it the ol' college try Black Hawk, but ended up with the same message about not being installed as before.

This eliminates the update as causing my logjam, so my next suspect would be the v5 updater itself. When I first used it, the beta did fine until it came to this update.

How would I go about getting a fresh install of the windows v5 updater? Or, did it install one when it created a new SoftwareDistribution folder?

yup, they're real :D

PS: would it do any good to post the Reporting Events log from this new folder? It's Greek to me :o
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    I have no clue how to reinstall windows update. What you could try is doing a repair installation. Should fix the problem or atleast revert to the old updater.
    edited February 2005
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I have no clue how to reinstall windows update. What you could try is doing a repair installation. Should fix the problem or atleast revert to the old updater.

Sounds like a weekend project ... :D

Ahhh, look what's comin' up :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    It should only take like 30 to 45mins depending if you have to reinstall some drivers after.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2005
    download the full SP2. Not the little update thingy. You can get the full 200mb sp2 for network installs. Just query the ms knowledgebase for it. All companies with hundreds of computers use this full version so they don't have to download it a few hundred or even thousand times.

Then you have nothing to dick with windows update anymore. You have the full sp2 on your hard drive

Tex
    edited February 2005
    Tex wrote:
    download the full SP2. Not the little update thingy. You can get the full 200mb sp2 for network installs. Just query the ms knowledgebase for it. All companies with hundreds of computers use this full version so they don't have to download it a few hundred or even thousand times.

Then you have nothing to dick with windows update anymore. You have the full sp2 on your hard drive

Tex

Howdy Tex...long time, no see :eek:

This happens to be the same PC you guided me through the onboard raid hacked setup with a few moons ago...I wanted more from the onboard Promise raid. The raid is still pumpin' away...just XP Pro wants to choke now and again.

I got the CD version in my little hands, but wanted to clean up a little before upgrading. Maybe I should use Black Hawk's link once more to get the slate clean before installing SP2??? :scratch:

Then I maybe I can hold off the repair install till the next option.

Are you still blessing us with your daily humor? :clap:

Polock
    edited February 2005
    This really sucks...

I really got things cleaned up and set up only to have SP2 not install. I got this pretty Setup Error stating:

ASN1 bad tag value met...

Googled around the world and found zip that makes cents to me, but then again, we would be speaking of limited experience. Found 1 thread with the exact same situation, but he didn't find an answer either...unfinished thread I think.

Any ideas how I would try to solve this?

I think I'll read up on Black Hawk's idea on a repair install. Wiil I need the raid drivers (F6) during a repair install as well? :scratch:

Polock thinks for a few ...Super Bowl Sunday...half hour till game...visions of cold beers dancing in his head...the rest of you are already ahead on me...this problem has been here for a while, so it can wait another day...

Polock is headed for the frig :thumbsup::cheers::whatever:
    edited April 2005
    I finally got it fixed and was able to get SP2 installed just in a nick of time. Shortly I'll try to put a brief explanation up of the fix...

just in case someone ever has this problem again.

You will see that Polock is one bullheaded SOB, but after 8 months of searching and trying any and all fixes without any succes...it's over :)

I hate to give up :shakehead

Now let me check my notes...

Polock