Teachers Beware! Student uses keylogger device to steal test information

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=320&e=1&u=/ibsys/20050201/lo_kprc/2564763
A high school student is facing criminal charges for allegedly hooking a device up to a teacher's computer to steal test information to sell to other students, Local 2 reported Tuesday.

The student attended Clements High School, 4200 Elkins Dr., in the Fort Bend Independent School District.

Officials said the 16-year-old boy hooked up a keystroke decoder to a teacher's computer and downloaded exams in November.

"Sometime in mid-December, we got a tip that this student was selling test exams that had apparently come from a teacher's computer, so that's when the investigation began," said Mary Ann Simpson, with the Fort Bend School District.

The student confessed when he was confronted, officials said.

The keystroke decoder is widely available at computer stores and on the Internet. It records every keystroke in data that can be downloaded later. It attaches between the computer and the keyboard.

"It's surprisingly simple -- to the point our police department is now on alert to other district area police departments to make them aware," Simpson said.

Police in the Spring Branch Independent School District and the Katy Independent School District sent out alerts Tuesday about the device.

"We felt that it was very important that we get this message out to our teachers because what happens down (in Fort Bend) is happening here," said Chief Chuck Brawner, with the Spring Branch ISD.

The alleged hacker was sent to an alternative school. The Fort Bend District Attorney is investigating the case.

The boy has been charged with a Class B misdemeanor -- breach of computer information. The penalty is a fine of $2,000 or 180 days in jail.

I guess some people never look at the back of their computers... :shakehead

For anyone not familiar with hardware keyloggers, they can be pretty small devices, looking almost like a keyboard plug converter. See image below or click on this manufacturer's link.

http://www.keyghost.com/sx/products.htm

Dexter...

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Ah the joys of USB keyboards...
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited February 2005
    Yep, so far the hardware keyloggers are only good for PS2 keyboards. You'd need to install logging software on someone's system if they had USB, and that is a lot harder if they have a password protected system, obviously. :)

Dexter...
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited February 2005
    Dexter wrote:
    I guess some people never look at the back of their computers... :shakehead Dexter...

:shakehead indeed!
    :hiding:
  • PaperghostPaperghost Toshogu Central
    edited February 2005
    cant get the links to work - is this keylogger similar to the one that plugs into the mouse port?
    edited February 2005
    Paperghost wrote:
    cant get the links to work - is this keylogger similar to the one that plugs into the mouse port?

Yes, it's a PS2 plug with a male and a female end, and a piece of chip of flash ROM inside it. Can you see the image I posted?

Dexter...
  • PaperghostPaperghost Toshogu Central
    edited February 2005
    Dexter wrote:
    Yes, it's a PS2 plug with a male and a female end, and a piece of chip of flash ROM inside it. Can you see the image I posted?

Dexter...

i can now, they weren't showing up in work :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited February 2005
    Schools dont have the money for USB keyboards. They should spend it on other things at least. And most of the time they get whatever keyboard that comes with a Dell/Gateway/HP/Compaq which is most of the time a PS/2 keyboard.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Well, it really wouldn't be that hard for someone to grab one of those USB converters to grab one. I know every USB mouse I've bought comes with a PS/2 converter...
    edited March 2005
    Well, it really wouldn't be that hard for someone to grab one of those USB converters to grab one. I know every USB mouse I've bought comes with a PS/2 converter...

I was thinking about that back when this thread started. On the manufacturer's site I linked above, they state:
    (The Product) does not currently work on USB (rectangular plug) keyboards. There are no adapters available to make it work on a USB keyboard. (The Product) only works with PS/2 keyboards (small round plug), and older DIN style keyboards (larger round plug, but requires adapters). If you are unsure which type of keyboard you have on your system, follow the lead to the back of the PC and check the shape of the plug. If it is round, then (The Product) will work.

It seems to imply there that even an adaptor will not work. And if you look, there are adaptors to change a USB *mouse* to a PS2 plug, but not a *keyboard.* I think that USB keyboards are inherently different enough from PS2 keyboards that you may not be able to change a USB one to a PS2 one.

If I'm wrong, someone please provide a link to the adaptor product, and I will query the manufacturer about it.

Dexter...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    im pretty sure my logitech keyboard uses a usb->ps2 adapter... i can check just to make sure when i get home
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It would be a ton of trouble for me to make all new tests.
    I give more tests in my first syllabus (60 clock hours) than most teachers do thoughout an entire year.
    Both CAD syllabi (120 clk hrs ea) are about 35 tests each.

I student = 5 minutes mischief
    I teacher = 5 months catchup

I think that even $2000 and 180 days in jail is not enough. Heck pirating AutoCAD is $2500 + 5 years in jail for each license.

Ok ...I gues i would just jumble the questions around. ;D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    My Logitech Elite has a USB->PS/2 keyboard adapter that I use to connect it with my PC. Generally speaking the keyboard has to support both PS/2 and USB on the controller chip for the adapters to work. All the adapter does is force the keyboard controller to put out PS/2 signals on the USB cable and adapt the plug to a PS/2 plug. It's the same story with the USB->PS/2 mouse adapters; the mouse has to support both USB and PS/2 modes.

-drasnor :fold: