Ntl broadband any good?

miinkiemiinkie UK
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Might be moving from my flat into soon to be acquired house - which should be a good thing. Only problem is Telewest broadband doesnt cover the area where new house is located. The Cable broadband internet provider is Ntl. I will have to give up the current 4Mb rate and Ntl only provide up to 1.5Mb.

Does anybody use Ntl broadband and how reliable would their service be?

Thanks

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited February 2005
    I have NTL until the end of this month, from tomorrow I will have 8mb UKonline Adsl.

The service has been very good for the last 18 months, have'nt experienced any down time worth noting. How ever if things do go wrong their customer services are a nightmare apparently. Thankfully I've been able to solve any problems I had myself.

Speed wise it's very good, always had 180Kb/s download, the service is not really capped unless you repeatedly cane it. Even then its just a friendly email warning first. For gaming it's great, ping times to UK servers were always around 15-30 n/s.

They will be raising speeds later this year to 3mb but this service will have more stringent caps.

Overall I was very happy with my connection just shame that their speeds can't keep up with the new cable services.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited February 2005
    who provides UKonline? Is there a weblink I can check if its available where im moving to? How much does it cost? Now that is some cracking speed on Ukonline
    edited February 2005
    UkOnline 8mb availability Checker

I'm not to happy at present as I've just got it and it's only 2mb, waiting a call from tech support to see what the problem is. I hope to god it's not noise on the line otherwise I'm screwed. The cost is £39.99 p/m & it a 12month contract.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited February 2005
    just checked out the weblink. Thanks. Couldnt find out if you needed a BT line or other for the service to be available.Any ideas?
    edited February 2005
    Yes you need a working BT line.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2005
    I've used NTL for a few years now. When it's working it's great, it's when you have problems that they fall down. Their customer support is horrible. If you phone them up be prepared to select loads of options (because you're important, apparently) and wait for anything upto a hour, then you get a human being who will tell you it's your fault. I had them come out to replace a faulty set top box while I was a t work and came home to find they had drilled a hole through my wall and fitted a crooked plastic box then rewired to the set top box, which was still faulty. I pressed some options that day I can tell you! Like I said, when it's working it's great and mine has been working fine for ages now but I know Shorty has been having some problems with them.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    I've used them for three years. When I was in Cambridge, they were almost perfect. The odd hiccup but very rarely.

Since I moved to Manchester six weeks ago.... oh I've had nothing but trouble.

I've had 50% service in 6 weeks. Four engineer visits (another one on Monday morning to come) and no help from NTL at all. It went off last night at 9pm and has only just come back on.

Luck of the draw, depends on the area and saturation of broadband usage.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited March 2005
    Jimborae .... just a quick one to find out how your doing with UKOnline. Do you still recommend them?
    edited March 2005
    UKOnline was a bit of a disaster for me:(

Despite me being just around the corner from the exchange my line couldn't support a 2mb connection let alone an 8mb one. BT said I should never have been sold this service. Therefore I went back to NTL & got upgraded 3mb connection, however UKOnline's customer services were excellent & refunded all my money the same day & cancelled my contract. Therefore if your phone line can support it I'd still recommend them.