Converting tapes to CD, should be easy?

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited January 2007 in Internet & Media
I'm really stuck here chaps and could do with some help.

I've eventually manged to convert an audio tape to a .WAV file using Wavelab. The file is 88 minutes long. I don't seem to be able to burn this as an audio CD.

I've bought some 90 minute CDs and only succeded in creating two coasters so far.

If I use Wavelab to burn the CD, I get an error message from my Pioneer 106 burner which won't proceed with the burn.
Nero won't recognise a WAV file to burn as a CD.
I can't seem to find a way of using Alcohol 120% to do the conversion anyway.

If I put the 90 minute CD in my burner and get it to inspect the media, it still sees it as an 80 minute CD.

Is there any way forward?

Thanks

Crypto :)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Never used Wavelab, but it should have an option to enable overburn. I know Nero does. FWIW, not all cd burners can burn the 90 mins.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited February 2005
    I have an A106 and have used Nero to burn 80+ minute WAV files to Philips 90 minute CD's.

Try updating the A106 firmware. The file is available from Pioneer's site and is self-executable.

And also make sure overburn is enabled to about 92 minutes in Nero.

Does your captured WAV file play back OK from your hard drive? I'm assuming you used the output from a cassette deck to the line in of your sound device to capture the file?

If there's a problem with the captured file, try using dbPoweramp and it's aux add on to capture cassette recordings.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited February 2005
    OK, tried updating firmware, no difference.
    The CDRs I'm using are Traxdata 90 min. Drive still only sees them as 80 min.

What's wrong with Wavelab?

I still don't know how to convert a .wav file to CD in Nero or Alcohol 120%.

Do I need a different file converter?

Thanks

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2005
    Dumb question, but why not just split the wav file down the middle and burn two discs?

Here's a shareware program to make it easy.
    edited February 2005
    Nero will only see the CD as an 80 minute disc. You have to select overburn and it should burn OK.

Also, I tried several makes of 90 minute CD's and the only make I've had any success with are Philips.

I've also read that it isn't actually a good idea to make 90 minute CD's, the media isn't really suitable, although mine seem fine. I first used one to get all of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffitti onto one CD.

Nero shouldn't have any problems with WAV files.
    edited February 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts chaps.

Have to get off to watch England thrash Wales in the 6 Nations Championships now. Should be able to see it all before I have to take Mrs Crypto out to dinner.

I'll try further tomorrow.

Cheers

edited February 2005
    OK now I'm really in a bad mood.

England were beaten by Wales (and deserved to be)

I 've loaded up the latest version of Nero with all the plugins and it still will not recognise a WAV file. It would appear that Nero is very picky as to how the WAV file is generated.
    I tried the link that you left Prof, thanks but Nero would not recognise files created with that.

I have labouriously re- recorded the WAV file from within NERO's wave editor, a beastly programme with appalling graphics.

Nero will now accept the WAV file to burn but still will not accept that it is over 80 mins. I've tried everything that I can find to get NERO to accept an overburn up to 92 mins but to no avail. I have tried another type of media ( Infiniti) that my brother swears by, but also to no avail . Nero simply will not go past the bit where it says that the file is longer than 80 mins and you must install media that can cope .

It's lucky that the disc tray is still in one piece, the number of times that it has rejected my blank CDRs.

I'm really tearing my hair out here chaps........help please?

Crypto :D
    edited February 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Dumb question, but why not just split the wav file down the middle and burn two discs?
    Sorry to hear the program didn't help. :(

What about stopping the recording process at roughly the halfway point, saving it as "Part1.wav", then repeating the process with the second half?

I realize that means dealing with the "beastly" NERO wave editor again (twice...), but if it gets the result you're after it may be worth it.

Good Luck! :)
    edited February 2005
    Did you try dbPower amp to record the WAV file? (via the dbPoweramp Aux add-on?)

Nero has never had a problem recognising a WAV file generated with that program on any of my machines.

How did you originally capture the WAV file?

And yes, Nero can be a bit pernicketty about choosing whether to overburn or not, I've experienced that.

My Pioneer A106 is great for burning DVD's, but a little fussy at burning some formats of CD. I'm wondering if that's the problem here.

For burning 80 min + CD's I always use my Liteon 40 x CDRW, it seems very versatile.

Just throwing some thoughts into the equation, don't really know the answer, sad to say :(

Wales beat England? Good grief. It's the end of the world as we know it.
    edited February 2005
    Thanks for the help chaps, I've come to the conclusion that I can't achieve what I was after with my current set up. :(

Looking on Pioneer's site, they state that the 106 burner does not support CDRs longer than 80 mins so I'm flogging a dead horse there.

Suggestions so far: Prof, split the wav in two and burn 2 CDs? Well, it's actually a Yoga lesson, and the mid point is in the middle of a headstand! I can just imagine Mrs.Crypto and her mates dangling about while somebody gets down to change the CD. :D

All is not lost though, floppybootstomp has given me an idea, as well as using dbPoweramp to create the wav, I also have and old Liteon burner in another PC that may well burn the 90 min CD.

Thanks again

Crypto :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    Success at last. :D
    The world's most expensive CD has been produced. :thumbsup:

The final solution was to record the wav file with Nero's Wave Editor and burn it to an old Liteon Drive with a Traxdata90 min CD.

Thanks folks for your help and ideas, Mrs. Crypto and her yoga mates will be eternally gratefull.

Cheers

Crypto :D
    edited February 2005
    Crypto wrote:
    ...Suggestions so far: Prof, split the wav in two and burn 2 CDs? Well, it's actually a Yoga lesson, and the mid point is in the middle of a headstand! I can just imagine Mrs.Crypto and her mates dangling about while somebody gets down to change the CD...

Now there's a mental image. ;D;D

Glad you got it whipped. :thumbsup:
    edited February 2005
    Good news, pleased for you (and Mrs Crypto, lol) :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2007
    Crypto wrote:
    I'm really stuck here chaps and could do with some help.

I've eventually manged to convert an audio tape to a .WAV file using Wavelab. The file is 88 minutes long. I don't seem to be able to burn this as an audio CD.

I've bought some 90 minute CDs and only succeded in creating two coasters so far.

If I use Wavelab to burn the CD, I get an error message from my Pioneer 106 burner which won't proceed with the burn.
    Nero won't recognise a WAV file to burn as a CD.
    I can't seem to find a way of using Alcohol 120% to do the conversion anyway.

If I put the 90 minute CD in my burner and get it to inspect the media, it still sees it as an 80 minute CD.

Is there any way forward?

Thanks

TRY UPLOADING THE FREEWARE "AUDACITY" WHICH CONVERTS ANALOG FILES TO A SUITABLE MP3 FORMAT FOR YOUR BURNER.
    YOU MIGHT ALSO GIVE MICROSOFT PLUS! MEDIA EDITION, A FREE SPIN, I THINK YOU WILL BE MORE THAN PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS.
    WAV FILES ARE FINE FOR SAVING ROOM ON YOUR SYSTEM, BUT IF YOU INTEND TO USE THEM AS AN EVENTUAL MP3 FORMAT, TO RE-CONVERT, YOU WILL LOSE A LITTLE QUALITY.
    THERE ARE PROGRAMS THAT WILL CONVERT WAV TO MP3, BUT HAVE YET TO FIND ONE I AM TOTALLY SATISFIED WITH. I HAVE FOUND THE TWO DIRECT CONVERSION PROGRAMS LISTED ABOVE ARE WONDERFUL. I CAN THEN CONVERT MP3 TO WAV ON SELECTED OPTIONS AND GET A MUCH CLEANER AND CRISPER BURN OR TRANSFER.