Halo Movie Moving Forward

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Variety reports that Microsoft has begun the process of bringing its best-selling game franchise to the big screen.
Given Halo and Halo 2's runaway success, it wasn't so much a question of if there would be a Halo movie, but when. Now, it seems "when" will be "soon." According to today's Variety, Microsoft "has quietly put the finishing touches on a million-dollar deal" with 28 Days Later screenwriter Alex Garland to adapt Bungie's multiplatinum game franchise for the big screen.

Once hired, Garland will be part of a "turnkey" script package that Microsoft will shop around to studios. According to Variety, the cash-flush software giant is taking an unorthodox approach to developing the Halo film project. The paper says ex-Columbia Pictures president Peter Schlessel is advising Microsoft to "develop its own script and shop it to studios once satisfied" in order to avoid the critical drubbing suffered by such game-based movies as Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Alone in the Dark.
Source: GameSpot

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Looks like Microshaft is willing to put in a butt load of cash into this movie. It could be pretty damned good.

Now if they could only do a BattleTech flick, I'd be a Microsoft LOVER for the rest of my life :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Here goes yet another ****ty movie based on a cool game :rolleyes:
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited February 2005
    ditto prime....

how many game based movies have there been ever? (far too many)
    How many have been good? (NONE!)
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    I thought the first Resident Evil was pretty good for your generic stupid gruesome horror/action flick. But, I never played the Resident Evil video game series so I had no expectations for plot, storyline, etc.
  • edited February 2005
    Exactly what I was about to say Camman. They should have left that sequel alone. I never played the game but I liked the first movie too.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Haven't seen the secon Resident Evil, but I there have been some Game related movies I really enjoyed.... I just can't remember their names atm.

ALIEN vs. PREDATOR!

uhhh....

Wing Commander kinda sucked, but I still watch it if it's on....

Wasn't Last of the Star Fighters based on a game? That movie's a classic.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Wing Commander was awful, I was so sad about it. My favoritist game ever....

Hmmmm, I wish they would remake that game in the prophecy engine....
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    RWB wrote:
    Wasn't Last of the Star Fighters based on a game? That movie's a classic.
    That would be The Last Starfighter, and yes. It was good, but not nearly as good as TRON, which is totally awesome despite being based on a game (or games in general).

-drasnor :fold:
    edited February 2005
    yeah, Tron is awesome, but it's a little different cause it's not really based on any specific game, but I do want some Light cycles, I love tron
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Uh... tron was based directly on the video game, wasn't it?
    edited February 2005
    From what I understand it may have been based on a light-cycles type game, but, it's not like they tried to play off some story line like these movies from a game do nowadays. But I didn't think it was based on any actual game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's a little before my time (ie; tron was released several years before I was born), but that's all my point is, that it was like a movie about a game not a game with a storyline turned into a movie. Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong, but, I am in fact a big Tron fan, got the 20th anniversary collectors DVD, w00t.
  • edited March 2005
    I hope that if they do this movie it is based on the halo book: The Fall Of Reach for that book could make a great movie if done properly and could create more Halo fans.