Unmountable Boot Error

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey- A newbie here :)
Just to start it off, nice forum you guys got here!
I've read the past threads and posts about "Unmountable Boot Error" and I've googled it and tried some of the suggestions that came up- but it just didn't work- my comp doesnt respond as how the directions are showed to...

I specifically used this one-
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

To make things way easier- I plugged in a new hardrive (90 gig) that already had another Windows system installed on it (unknowingly). It obviously lagged my system incredibly OBSESSIVELY, so I reformatted my old drive, with the old Windows systems... On the new drive, it's originally in Chinese, except- It was one of my fam members, and I can't read Chinese, lol.

I set my first boot as the CD Drive, and I popped in the Windows Disk... My comp got to the first step of "Press any key to boot from CD...". But then it just boots up to this screen covered in Chinese and highlights "Windows XP' 28 secs. Then, it just loads to Windos XP (No idea what you call it, the bar just moves back and forth :scratch: ). After that, it gives me the Blue screen with the "Unmountable_Boot_Error" and everything under it...

Other directions say to download things that can patch up the defficiency, but I can't even get into the Welcome sign in....

Any takers for help? :scratch:
Thanks
~User Friendly.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2005
    It's just not booting off the cd. Try removing the hard drive from the boot seq in the bios and make it the cdrom all the way down.

And of course yes remember to hit a key to boot from the cdrom as the screen prompts ya to.

After installing or repairing (what ever your trying to do off the cd) reinsert the hard drive in the boot sequence.

Tex
  • edited February 2005
    It's still giving me the same error, even with all the Boot Options to the CD Drive... :shakehead. This might sound like a noobish question, but I've never actually reformatted my whole comp before, just the drives. If the comp won't read the Windows CD, is there any way where I could just totally reformat it?

Thanks,
    UserFriendly.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2005
    Not unless you can boot from a cd to reinstall or your sh*t up the creek no matter what. You got to boot from that cd to even reformat for xp.

Does the cd boot on other computers?

Tex
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2005
    You could try using a bootable floppy with cdrom drivers. I'd recommend the Windows 98 SE OEM.

Set the floppy as the first boot device and boot from the floppy disk. Hopefully it will find your cdrom drive and assign it a drive letter.

Then, with the XP CD in the drive, type the cdrom drive letter:\setup.exe and press "enter".
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    I have the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error thing..

Here is my info!

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82b9ED, 0xc0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Ok ok.. Heres what I do..

1. Insert WinXP System Recovery Disc 1
    2. Restarted Computer
    3. Let it run until the Operation system selection screen
    4. Select and press enter on 'Start Windows Normally'
    5. Let it run until blue screen
    6. Get pissed and look for more information on my other computer

Would someone please help me with this.. And please do not give me any worthless links of info.. Because I guarantee you that they will not work, Thank you

:thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Launch your system recovery disc, go to the windows recovery console, type "fixboot" and "fixmbr." Reboot.
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    How do I access my Recovery Console!? My computer does not respond to my Disc 1...
    edited August 2006
    Let me put it this way: Does your system recovery CD look anything like this...

xp_src_welcome.gif

If so, Press R.

If not, follow the instructions here to add the recovery console to the list of operating systems available when you boot your computer. This guide assumes you can get into safe mode, and hopefully you can. If not, we have additional options.
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    Alright.. Im not using Win XP PRO im using.. Home edition.. Is that any differant?
    edited August 2006
    No. Same procedure.
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    My disc does not work.. By "does not work" I mean.. The computer does not respond any differantly when I insert the disc.. :mad:
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    Oh and plus.. How would I install the recovery console.. You have to be able to access your computer.. I cannot because of the Boot error... Oh.. And I do not have access to safe mode!!! I get the blue screen even trying to access safe mode..
    edited August 2006
    If your computer does not respond any differently, you need to enable CD boot in your BIOS. Hit insert, F2, F1 and delete rapidly when the computer is first powering on. Navigate through the menus until you find "Boot Device Priority" or something very similar to that; ensure the CD-ROM on your PC, or whatever device it is that holds your CD, is the first on the list. Save your changes and exit the BIOS by hitting the appropriate key to do that, and try again.

As mentioned, that guide assumes you can get into safe mode. Can you?
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    I do not have access to safe mode.. The error screen pops up no matter how I boot up my computer...
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    And one more thing I have to add... I do not have the 1 cd you were talking about.. You were talking about the one that looks like this.... simg_t_oi353820.jpg?rm_____D4sXNrCT2
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    Well.. I think I found something that might help me boot up my pc.. Am I right?

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxpboot.html