Citrix

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I just met with a client who is buying a software package that needs a Citrix server. I've never done one. Has anyone else here? Am I in for a big learning curve?

Yes, I know I could do the same thing with Terminal Serivces....but his software vendor specs a Citrix server....and life goes better when you just do what his industry software vendor requires.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    lmao i thought u were talking about CITRIXmeta a member here. Bout had a heart attack thinking something bad happened to the man
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2005
    Trust me, when I say I've never done a Citrix before, I mean CITRIXmeta too!
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    hey there

i have some citrix experience, watcha need?
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2005
    Now it doesn't sound like I need CITRIX advice so much. I've talked to several other users who have this software package, and they're all just using Terminal Services and Remote Desktop to get the same result. Esp now that Server 2003 includes Remote Desktop.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    Citrix is very light client and doesnt use as much system resources as many remote desktop type setups though.

There are a lot of ways to do the same thing. but it has advantages?

Tex
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2005
    Yea but my guy just has 7 sites dialing in, and I could almost buy a new computer for those sites for what a CITRIX would cost.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    better load balancing features.
    better farm managerment features.
    web portal features
    Secure web portal features.
    more clients for diff platforms.
    client deployement options... and many more..

small things like that. ;)

but if you want a box that want to share a few users with, rdp would be perfect.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Yeah for only 7 users you should be using terminal services.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2005
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the opinions. To tell the truth, I have yet to see the client computers but would guess I have a hodge podge of junk-software infested machines. I'll need all the budget I have to go out to the sites and make those work. If I can brag about how I saved him the cost of a CITRIX I can soften the blow about all he's going to have to spend out at the remote sites.