How do I get 5.1 surround sound from my xbox?

metomeyametomeya New
edited February 2005 in Internet & Media
Ya so i got an xbox. And looking foward to surround sound from my Halo 2, i realized my parent's receiver doesn't have dolby surround sound. It has pro logic, but from what I read xbox doesn't output in pro logic, only Dolby 5.1 surround from a fiber optic wire (it can't do fiber optic either). Okay so, what is the cheapest way I can make my system give surround sound from my games? Remember I only have fiber optic (using the Advanced Pack for Xbox). Thanks

Comments

• MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited February 2005
    Using the RCA audio outputs will give you Dolby pro logic surround. It sound as good as 5.1, but it is surround.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Madball wrote:
    Using the RCA audio outputs will give you Dolby pro logic surround. It sound as good as 5.1, but it is surround.

not quite there. pro logic is way older that dolby digital. you only have one rear surround channel even though there's two speakers, and the seperation of the channels is not as good.

maya, you need to buy the advanced AV pack from MS, you can find it at most target/wal-mart/EB/gamestop stores, i think it's like 20 bucks.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    metomeya wrote:
    Ya so i got an xbox. And looking foward to surround sound from my Halo 2, i realized my parent's receiver doesn't have dolby surround sound. It has pro logic, but from what I read xbox doesn't output in pro logic, only Dolby 5.1 surround from a fiber optic wire (it can't do fiber optic either). Okay so, what is the cheapest way I can make my system give surround sound from my games? Remember I only have fiber optic (using the Advanced Pack for Xbox). Thanks

Hey, kanez... *Points up* :p

And, metomeya, you'll just have to use the RCA's to the receiver. You'll get a "simulated surround" effect. That's the best you can do if the receiver doesn't allow for optical digital input.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    ;D I only read the thread title. Well then, you'll have to do with pro-logic. Your xbox will output a pro-logic signal, it will downmix it on the fly, as do most dvd players.