Hard disk is not accessible

edited December 2006 in Hardware
hi, I am running xp+sp2 edition on p4 2 GHz machine. i had a 60 gb western digitial hdd (wd600bb)and i am using it as a secondaty slave. when i start my pc, bios detects the hdd but operating system fails to access the drive. can someone explain me how to solve this problem? the drive contains data and i need to recover it. i tried using another bootable fdd and to access the drive but it doest work.

thanx..

Comments

• hyperstrikerhyperstriker NY, USA
    edited December 2006
    Did you try checking the Disk Management console ? :type:

* verify the order of your HDD in bios is the same as the boot initiator
    -check if is in the list of installed HDDs
    -check if the partition of that HDD is active and legible for your current OS

* try booting from an liveCD OS, like the WinPE, or any linux boot CD
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Is the drive spinning? - making any noises (clicking, screeching, etc.)

What is the drive slaved to on the secondary channel? To rule out an issue between the devices or a SLAVE issue on the Secondary channel, try removing the Master device and either setting the drive as Master/stand alone or to Cable Select.

If you hadn't made any changes to your system prior to this failure, then you might be looking at performing data recovery. If the hard drive is spinning, there're a lot of great recovery tools out there that you can use to recover your data. Hopefully others will post their favorites/suggestions as well. I've had success using Runtime Software's GetDataBack for NTFS and others of their recovery utilities.

Until you decide on a course of action, it's best to disconnect the suspect drive (while you're researching the issue, for example). As a rule of thumb, it's best to wait until you're ready to take action on the drive before connecting and powering up a failing drive.

WD has a number of diagnostic utilities, including bootable CD and Floppy versions. You might want to run their diagnostics to check the physical integrity of the drive. The diagnostics will also let you know if the configuration is ok.