Here we go..Let's build this beast!

JakethJaketh Ohio Member
edited March 2005 in Hardware
I have been lurking around and have gathered that the below is what will suit me best for my next ugrade. I am looking to do some overclocking, would like a very snappy system, and want to get some good bang for the buck.

Am upgrading from a system that OCs very well (A7N8X-Deluxe / 2100XP / ati 9800pro)...Do you think this will be a nice improvement over my current rig? :

Here's the plan:
BUY NEW:
1. MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum Ultra (non-SLI)
2. AMD64 3200 90nm
3. ATI Radeon X850 XT
Use current:
1. 2x512 Corsair PC3200 (CMX512-3200C2)
2. Maxtor 60gb ATA-133
3. Plextor 8X DVD RW
4. Plextor CDRW
5. 2 misc slow storage HDs
Help me choose:
1. Nice case - good cooling, lightweight, classy looking
2. best heatsink/fan combo
3. Power supply to handle this
4. Anything else I'm missing?

Do I need:
1. New soundcard? I'm used to the soundstorm on my current nf2 board (and I'm very pleased with it). Does the onboard sound in the new mobo perform up to snuff?
2. New SATA drives? Kicking around the 74gb raptor but its pricey on top of the other new stuff... Are there cheaper but still very fast drives or should I bite the bullet? (I've never done RAID before...difficult?)
3. Faster RAM?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to share your opinion. Help me build a beast!

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Your ram is fine unless you want to do MAJOR OCing. Sata drives are nice but if you're not hurting for storage I'd keep my pata drive until SATA 300 comes out, or you wont see a huge speed gain. Onboard sound performs reasonably well, you should be fine with your choices. Now if you do plan on going OC Crazy then get some OCZ high speed RAM and go nuts. You'll need atleast a gig and it'll cost you.
    Anything else let me know
  • JakethJaketh Ohio Member
    edited February 2005
    thanks for the reply, I'm sticking with my gig of corsair for now and gauge my need for different sticks later.

what power supply would you recommend?
    edited February 2005
    For any interested, I traded down to the K8N NEO2, nf3 board...not willing to pony up 300-500 for new gfx card.

Went Neo2, xp-90 w/panaflo, Audigy2, Seagate 7200.8 200gb, AMD 64 3200 (90nm).
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited March 2005
    You can't go wrong with the Antec truepower 480w or 550w models. Antec makes a 550 with fan controls for about 122 bucks plus shipping at newegg if you want the controls.
    edited March 2005
    I stuck with my enermax 431 for now. All the parts are delivered and I can't start until Saturday...dang business travel!
    edited March 2005
    CPU was DoA....project pushed back until newegg RMA.
    edited March 2005
    Built, running smooth & very snappy at 2250 mhz (HT @ 4, fsb @ 225 x10)

turning in WUs much faster now too!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Glad you got it going, Jaketh! :D
    edited March 2005
    Thanks Prof - btw, I was in westlake last week, maybe we passed each other on the road or something :eek:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Jaketh wrote:
    Thanks Prof - btw, I was in westlake last week, maybe we passed each other on the road or something :eek:
    Gee, I hope you weren't the guy in the white pickup who flipped me off when I was trying to merge... ;D

I'm living just off Detroit Rd., a half-mile south of the Crocker Rd. exit off I-90.

Westlake's not all that big - you had to be pretty close. :)
    edited March 2005
    nope wasn't me...this time :mullet:

let me know if you get into downtown CLE much, that's where I'm staying.