video effect

edited February 2005 in Internet & Media
for a college project i need to make a trailer for a film. In this trailer at the start, i want to have a clock the counts down from one date to a different one quickly..... is there any easy way to do this?? If the clock could change styles aswell that would be awesome....

Comments

• edited February 2005
    no-one have any ideas?? i currently have trials of premier, after effects and elements in order to try and crack this... it is very important!... :)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited February 2005
    You can make a countdown of either time, date or just plain old numbers in After Effects using the "Numbers" effect.

Use the attached After Effects Project as a guide, open the countdown layer and play with the Effects controls. It is currently sets to do short date style (20-Feb-05) and counts backwards over 10 seconds to my birth date.

Dexter...
  • edited February 2005
    thats great... thank you. I have been playing around and have got used to it however i want to do yet more advanced things with this! What i want is for the text to start of digital looking and as it counts down to turn into a 60s looking font... if this was possible it would be amazing!
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited February 2005
    OK, you can change the font by opening the effect controls for the layer, then under the numbers effect, click the options, which brings up the font and font size control. However, this is not a keyframeable property, so you cannot change the font over time. In order to do that, you are going to have to:

a - set up your countdown so that it counts properly from the start to the finish that you want, and set the first font you want.

b - duplicate the countdown layer. Change this font to the second font you want.

c - create a transition effect between those 2 layers in order to change from one font to the other.

d - repeat as necessary.

In case you had not figured it out, you can set the colour for the font in the Fill/Stroke section of the effect control, and that is keyframeable.

Good luck.

Dexter...