iTunes and music I own on CD

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited February 2005 in Internet & Media
A friend told me that you can have iTunes download a CD for free if you own the CD and it's in your CD drive. This would be great if it were true as ripping takes much longer than downloading. I looked in iTunes but found nothing. Can anyone tell me where I'm supposed to be looking here?

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited February 2005
    It SOUNDS a little fishey, but definately interesting.

Subscribing to thread.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    I doubt it. I ripped my entire collection of legit store-bought CDs to AAC, and never once did I ever see anything even remotely hinting at that.
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited February 2005
    Sounds fishy. How would they know you had the real CD in? Every label seems to use different techniques and change them frequently. Doing a check of track numbers and lengths would be an easy exploit. Urban myth probably.

Has your friend tried it, or is it something he "heard".

Max
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    ripping takes longer than downloading??? There's something wrong with your CDROM drive my man.

I can rip a CD in a couple of minutes, and I mean, I have a pretty fast connection, I think Comcast just upped it to like 4mbps, but, I definitly think I could rip a 60min CD much faster than downloading the whole thing.

I'm not sure how fast iTunes is at ripping music off CDs, but, I do all mine into WMA through Windows Media 10 and it's very quick
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    it all depends on what setting and what u use to rip teh cd,

i use EAC and LAME, and it takes quiet a while on max error correction and max quality setting.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Yea thats wierd I rip my cd's with cdex in a matter of minutes