Am I doing something wrong with the console?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
I'm running console on my machine that has hyperthreading with one graphical client as well. The graphical works fine. Is the console version supposed to lose all it's info if I reboot? I'm still tweeking my new system and it seems that everytime I reboot the console starts over again at frame 1, while the graphical picks up right where it left off. It's just kind of a piss off to have it go through several hundred frames and then have to reboot and see it start over at 0 again.

Is this just the way console works?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    No, console does not work like that. Make sure the console and graphical have different machine IDs, and make sure you have -local flag set
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    no. it sounds like the console is trying to run from the same data as the graphical client. How exactly do you have yours set up:

what client version
    what directories
    what flags (-forceasm -local ???)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2003
    from what i've seen, the -local flag is not necessary. at least not in my experience with my hyperthreading 2.8, but then again i was running 2 console clients
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I've got the newest console version, and there are 2 directories in program files.
    F@HConsole - that I made
    folding@home - that the installer for graphical made
    Console is set for ID#2, with forceasm and advmethods flags turned on for both versions.
    There is a directory in the F@Hconsole directory called work, but it's empty.

What does the -local tag do?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    it makes it work out of the directory, not out of the directory designated in the registry. I'd say that's your culprit :)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Are you shutting the console down properly before rebooting? ie: ctrl-c
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Never had a problem using the X since v2.12. It sounds to me like its a directory problem.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    if i were u dan...i woul run dual consoles...it just seems better...in addition..make sure both consoles are in different folders and to change the advanced options...one should have a cpuid of 1 and the other...a cpu id of 2
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    AS said, plus I do this:

I run one console in FAH and one in FAH2. One (the one in FAH) gets an affinity to pipe 1 of CPU and is called cpuid1. I exit console with CTRL+C (as said)

FAH2 gets run with an affinity to pipe 2, gets its executable renamed, and is run as cpuid2. Folding will run its executable fine and if you know basicly what you name it and name it different Windows thinks it can run both as services as they are different processes by name to Windows. windows will not let two exact same name processes show in services list, and it is easier to rename and use standard services list than to register a batch process as a service and then let it run than to try and write a startup batch routine. As services, windows will restart them and also orderly shut them down when you reboot by itself.

Now,note, boht services need their own logs and it is easiest to get each console seperately and first tiem run it in config mode AFTER you rename the second process.

I do like this:

Process one actually is renamed also, I usually call it FAH1_325W32.exe where FAH tells me it is folding client, number is instance, the underline tells me version is next, and many are tryiing version 3.25 now so to avoid an extra extension for windows I leave period out and use 325 there.

So, the second ffull client is FAH2_325W32.exe.

Each one gets installed seperately, one in a subfolder of FAH and one in a subfolder of FAH2. I typically stick them on C:\ if room, most hard drives seek to primary partition a tib faster than a secondary for a few non-relevant tech reasons. If I control folder name it is C:\MYFOLD\FAH for first and C:\MYFOLD\FAH2 for secoond and I let it make its own work directory in each instance as it installs.

If real tight for space in C I stick one in D.

That is basicly how to set up two instances both as services and they will be run in most compatible mode with other services by default if you install and leave the service at default priority and fold for a few days and make sure both work together with windows at once.

I use two client downloads, and to get around the same tree problem I build one anywhere even in a subfolder on desktop, run the installer in the subfolder and then run the instance after I have renamed it in -config mode to force a full config run and that lets me set machine ID on install and it goes into right file. I leave the installer archive in desktop subfolder, drag\move everything else into C:\MYFOLD\FAH which I make as needed before hand in a seperate Windows Explorer entry in tree view of Explorer (not Internet Explorer) or my computer window.

I run it again, same user ID, in config mode, and as before tell it yes for advanced options, and set Machine ID on this one to 2.

NOTE, FAH was started when mostly single CPU machines were volunteered, then there came two processor boxes, like Xeon and AMD MP boxes. Thus machine was set to processor. 32 Bit windows, including all Windows other than the 64 bit version of XP, thinks of boht multipiped processors and and seperate multiple processors as SMP machines that can assign work to CPUS. It thinks your HT P4 is a two processor SMP box.

If you set both to one machine ID, and do not name one different than the other, Windows will run first instance of that name and second will get lower priority or never get run as a service. A service and a non-service of same name can be run, both if same executable name cannot be run as services at once and first in run order will AT BEST get most time on CPU to run. Second, you will get to run the one that is not a service manually as to starting and stopping, completely.

The reason for totally seperate homes including logs is that you are running each as if it were on a seperate machine from the point of view of the console client. The reason that you can run one Grpahical client and one console is the installer defaults to different homes for each client based on type. But running graphics loads the client more,it is busy part of the time displaying stuff and has less time to just calc.

For folks working with FrieDaemon, letting Widnwos handle boht as services will let you have windows give its core services priority if you do not play much with the priorities you can let windows manage it. Widnows is 32 bit, and most services will be run on CPU the first (techeze has used CPU0 for first processor and CPU1 on an SMP board for second, but folding uses 1 and up for machine ID and it is easiest to track with machine ID). Folding does NOT have to have a unique true Folding Machine ID per CPU, though it is better for their tracking and you will get results seperate if you go into a team and completely install each sperate and creat one user ID per CPU as that is how folding stores data stats (by UID for point gathering). So, if SAM wanted a UID of SAM he might call the first instance a UID of SAM1 and the second a UID of SAM2, then he could see which actually gatehred more points. I woudl expect, this way, over the long haul, that SAM2 (second instance) would be faster as 32 bit windows defaults to the first pipe for system processes and processes with no CPU affinity assigned by default.

Same base logic as Linux, except I can fine tune better in Linux than in Windows how much of CPU the folding instance gets overall.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    ok, I think I got it figured out, they are both working on different wu's and there are now files in the work directory for the console. I redid the config for console, putting in the same info that I did last time, and now I have my fingers crossed. I haven't rebooted yet though.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    If there are 2 instances of folding whether it be console or graphical and they have the same ID, they will both work on the same WU. If both clients finish, you will only get credit for one.
    I found this out the hard way.
    Just make sure that the IDs are different, and you use the -local flag. The -local flag just tells the client to work out of the current directory and not the registry.
    After that you should be fine.

:fold: