Ack! I don't think she's going to make it!

SMGSMG
edited March 2005 in Folding@Home
My first due date is May 4th. I think I will make it sometime on May 4th but not at 12:00AM on May 4th. Is the due date at 12AM or anytime during that day?

I'm giving it all she's got captain!!

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Hey SMG, just what are you running inside that computer? :scratch:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited February 2005
    Due date?

Congratulations. Boy or girl? ;D
  • SMGSMG
    edited February 2005
    TBonZ wrote:
    Hey SMG, just what are you running inside that computer? :scratch:
    1.25ghz G4 i-Mac, 1 Gig of RAM.

This should be plenty fast no? Why is it so slow?
  • edited February 2005
    Sounds like a combination of a large wu and a slow processor. ;)

In all seriousness, I have no idea whatsoever on how a G4 mac folds. Do you have it set up to use 100% of your idle processor cycles and do you leave that machine on 24/7?
  • SMGSMG
    edited February 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Sounds like a combination of a large wu and a slow processor. ;)

In all seriousness, I have no idea whatsoever on how a G4 mac folds. Do you have it set up to use 100% of your idle processor cycles and do you leave that machine on 24/7?

I run it 24/7, and there is no setting to use 0%-100% it's supposed to be 100% all the time unless you are using it. It's too late now. I'm just going to switch to "no due date" and pray this one finishes on time.

I just wish this thing would die on me to give me an excuse to go get a Dual G5.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Relax, you're going to be fine. There's lots of time. A G4 1.25 isn't that slow.
    What WU are you working on? How long is it taking per frame? You can get the time from the log file.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    DanG wrote:
    ...What WU are you working on? How long is it taking per frame? You can get the time from the log file.
    Great suggestion. :thumbsup:

Why not just post the whole log? We can answer all your questions if we have that. :)
  • SMGSMG
    edited March 2005
    I'll take a look at it tonight. The Mac program is basically just one icon so I have no idea where the config file is. I'll open up terminal and see if it's a hidden file. I'm used to PC's where they have a bunch of files available in one directory; on the Mac you have to go on a Safari.

Looking at the due date I see that it is not until Friday night so - whew - I should make it. It seems like it's a big honking WU but when I get a chance tonight I'll try to locate and post the file.
  • SMGSMG
    edited March 2005
    Ok, so basically this morning my very first WU finished. It finished about 14 hours a head of schedule and I am officially hooked. The only problem now is even though I beat the deadline it now gave me a wimpy WU to work with despite the fact that I have the "Standard" setting set. Oh well.

One last question: Is anybody on Short media - or any of the other Teams - selling ready made Diskless Nodes that can be plugged on a network? I have my i-Mac as you well know - but it would be incredibly cool if a company sold diskless nodes w/ bluetooth with only enough OS to run the client program and use wireless protocols to get the folding information onto the internet. It would be great if I could buy a stack of P4's running a very stripped down version of Linux to fold all day.

As you can tell - I like to plug and play - not roll my own :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    SMG wrote:
    Ok, so basically this morning my very first WU finished. It finished about 14 hours a head of schedule and I am officially hooked.
    Excellent! :celebrate
    The only problem now is even though I beat the deadline it now gave me a wimpy WU to work with despite the fact that I have the "Standard" setting set. Oh well.
    I've been getting a lot of dinky ones lately myself, even on my Athlon 64 3500+. Stanford seems to send WU's out in cycles, no doubt the beefy proteins will return soon.
    One last question: Is anybody on Short media - or any of the other Teams - selling ready made Diskless Nodes that can be plugged on a network?...I like to plug and play - not roll my own :D
    We could change your mind about that. :D One of our teams top producers only got the Folding bug a little over a year ago and as you can see has become quite a pro at system building. :respect: :ausflag:
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited March 2005
    SMG wrote:

One last question: Is anybody on Short media - or any of the other Teams - selling ready made Diskless Nodes that can be plugged on a network? I have my i-Mac as you well know - but it would be incredibly cool if a company sold diskless nodes w/ bluetooth with only enough OS to run the client program and use wireless protocols to get the folding information onto the internet. It would be great if I could buy a stack of P4's running a very stripped down version of Linux to fold all day.

As you can tell - I like to plug and play - not roll my own :D

Have I got a deal for you!! ;D How about going with AMD? I have 10 or 15 Barton 2500's I might sell. :cool: That would be with mother boards and power supplies - you do your own Linux thing. Jack
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2005
    How much each?