Nvidia Soundstorm Is Dead

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Hexus.net has reported that Nvidia has now confirmed that their popular onboard audio solution Soundstorm, is dead.
We can today reveal that in a briefing with NVIDIA we have been informed that Soundstorm, the popular NVIDIA sound technology is dead. This has been confirmed to us whilst talking about the NVIDIA nForce 4 SLi (P4 Edition).

Brian Del Rizzo informed us of this fact, and stated that at the recent NVIDIA Editors day in which their CEO and Spiritual leader - Jen Hsun was infact talking about other technologies in which they are exploring audio possibilites, these would eventually end up as sound solutions across all platforms. But he was firm in his statement that it was indeed gone.

As yet we are uncertain if this means we will end up seeing an addon board solution for audio. We get the distinct feeling that the price of SoundStorm was the main falling due to motherboard vendors wanting to keep prices down.
Source: Hexus.net

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    He's called the CEO and spiritual leader? That's awesome!

From now on I shall be CEO AND Spiritual Leader of sarcnet industries, inc. ;D
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    Suits you actually. ;D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2005
    Nooooooo!
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited March 2005
    ^^^
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited March 2005
    He's called the CEO and spiritual leader? That's awesome!

I am often called the "evil manager" here, We had a staff development day and afterwards dinner and drinks, I then led an expedition into the wee small hours night clubbing and drinking, draging about 15 staff along with me........

I arrived at work, a little blurred, but fit at 8.30am the following morning - 4 staff called in sick and the remaining 11 who made it to work swore they would never like to see me and alcohol in the same room ever again and avoid even my "team spirited" attempts to take them out on boozy Friday afternoon long lunches, in fact many are often seen hiding under their desks curled up in the foetal position, trembling at the sound of me calling out "So who's up for lunch at the pub?"
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited March 2005
    We get the distinct feeling that the price of SoundStorm was the main falling due to motherboard vendors wanting to keep prices down.
    Most SS users (including myself) have said that they'd gladly pay the extra money to have SS onboard so I don't buy that excuse.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    They didn't really mention end users there, EQ.... They said manufacturers wanted to keep down costs. End user opinions obviously don't mean much to them :(
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited March 2005
    I know but "vendors" are well aware of SS users sentiments.

There is even an open letter drive signed by thousands of us so I'm pretty sure they know how we feel.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    I'm going to find an old nforce2 board, rip the MCP-T off and solder it onto my motherboard :mullet: .. Seriously though, it does say that the soundstorm 'onboard' audio is dead.. perhaps they are still planning an expansion card of some kind?
  • edited March 2005

We can only hope!

DRATS!!! I can't tell you how much I hate hearing this.
    I'm not feeling the love from our spiritual leader anymore.