Serious Device Failure

2»

Comments

• edited March 2005
    Memtest checks to make sure your memory is good and not defective. I don't think it really fixes the problems.

Like others have said, it's probably your onboard video. My personal suggestion is to get a new video card. That should free up the memory your system is dedicating to video.

BTW, that's a lot of resources you have in RoNations.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Not by merely running memtest.

You mentioned that you have onboard video. That type of video setup uses system ram as video ram. What you have done now is determine that your system ram is not the source of your problem.
    mtgoat wrote:
    I say it is the onboard video that is causing a lot of the problem as well as the onboard sound. The onboard video and sound on those types of systems are really not meant for gaming and as such can't handle the intensity of the games you are playing.
    I think this comment hit the nail on the head. You are basically punching the accelerator of a VW Rabbit and hoping that it will perform like a Ferrari.

Here's what you could try:

1) Check in the bios for a reference to shared ram for video. If you can increase it, do so.

2) Add more system ram (You'd have to buy a compatible stick).

3) Check your Virtual Memory settings and raise the amount. If you tell us what you have it set at now we can give you an idea as to how much.

4) Consider a wipe-and-reload (backup your data first!). You say that the problem has been popping up for two years now. If you haven't done a format in that time you are long overdue.

5) See if your MB came with an AGP slot. If so, a "real" video card with it's own ram will take quite a load off your system and give you much better performance while gaming.

6) If there is no AGP slot, see if you have a free PCI slot. A PCI video card will still be a substantial improvement over onboard video.

7) And lastly, keep in mind that if you decide on a number of upgrades it may make more sense to just build a new computer.

If none of these ideas sound attractive, you might try updating any out of date drivers you have. Check your running processes. If there is a ton of stuff constantly running in the background that you don't need, use msconfig to keep it from starting.

If you are not 100% confident that you don't have any Spyware/Viruses/Trojans lurking on your computer you might want to head to the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum and post a HijackThis log in a new thread there.

With only 256MB of ram you need to run a very lean configuration to make the most of your limited resources. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Edit: Props to flyrice. I am a slow typist. :vimp:
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited March 2005
    Sorry to bump this tOPIC!! but i dont want to make a new one.

The problem happened again.

Now how do I reformat? I want to do it now acutally I backed everything I need up on discs and ready to reformat.

Also where can I find a good memory stick for my computer?
  • edited March 2005
    I had this issue with an old Tyan board I had. The AGP slot had gone bad, but it was alot worse than yours seems to be. If you managed to run like that for 2 years, I would say it's something like a poorly wired or installed AGP slot. Can you use any kind of 3D graphics accelleration?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    When you ran Memtest, there was nothing in the results section, right? As in, no errors came up at all? They just show up in a list of bad memory blocks in the main program screen, not like popups or anything.
    edited March 2005
    Memtest came out positive.

I do not have a agp slot.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Like prof suggested, you probably should try a different video card. It doesn't sound like you have any laying around, but here are a couple of cheap ones online, both from Newegg.com. Either should be as good or better than your onboard video. These also use PCI slots instead of AGP.

$39, a Radeon 7000 with 64mb RAM

$65, a Radeon 9250 with 128mb RAM
    edited March 2005
    Hey those look nice!

I dont have any radeon installed right now.

Ill try it thx. Its pci express right?
    edited March 2005
    Actually those are old school PCI cards. Do you have PCI express? Sorry if I overlooked that. Here are some PCI Express options:

$62, Radeon X300SE, 128mb RAM (currently out of stock - might check pricewatch.com)

That's the only PCI express card under $65 on Newegg I would recommend. The others use your onboard memory (a "feature" they call TurboCache), which is slower, and you don't have much to spare anyway.

For a little more money, these two are pretty nice:

$99, Radeon X600 Pro, 128mb RAM

$99, GeForce 6200, 128mb RAM
    edited March 2005
    C:\DOCUME~1\Joseph\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd35e.dir00\Mini032305-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Joseph\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd35e.dir00\sysdata.xm

This was the problem. It happened again but said that the display driver or something is in serious error what DOES THIS MEAN!!!?

Unkwown error in the video driver.
    edited March 2005
    Hard to say what actually causes an error with the video driver, but sometimes it can be corrected by installing the most recent available video drivers.

If you know what your onboard video chip is (should say when you go to your display properties), you can get drivers directly from the manufacturer. Dell should also have drivers available on the support site. If you put in your support tag, it should bring your system right up and tell you what you need.
    edited March 2005
    ok ill do that tonight.
    edited March 2005
    I dont know where to find my display device.

And i need to upgrade one.
    edited March 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    I dont know where to find my display device.

And i need to upgrade one.
    Look in Device Manager under Display Adapters.

You can also use the (free!) Belarc Advisor for a detailed list of everything in your computer. This is extremely handy if you're considering a wipe-and-reload.
    edited March 2005
    I called dell.

They said to reformat.
    edited March 2005
    That's the standard answer that every big company gives. Rather than fix the specific problem, they just have you start over.

In your case, it's probably a good idea. You've mentioned that you've been running the computer for several years - I'd say you're about due.

You'll want to make sure you know what's in your computer before you start, and make sure you have all the latest drivers downloaded and readily available when you start reinstalling everything. Make sure you back up any data you care about! :)
    edited March 2005
    Ill be pissed if the problem.... continues....
    edited March 2005
    I will reformat but somehow I dont see thats going to help.

When I first got my computer it was working fine but when I played a game on it. It was working fine for a couple of days then it froze.

So I might just need a PCI video card. But giving my system more ram... Is that going to help?

I tried lowering the quality of picture in the game it helped a bit... but eventually froze.
    edited March 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    I will reformat but somehow I dont see thats going to help.
    It will eliminate any software problems. It won't make your hardware any better.
    When I first got my computer it was working fine but when I played a game on it...it froze.

So I might just need a PCI video card. But giving my system more ram... Is that going to help?

I tried lowering the quality of picture in the game it helped a bit... but eventually froze.
    Everything you've said here indicates that the root of your problem is that your hardware is just not up to snuff for what you want it to do. A better video card and more ram will definitely make things better. The fact that lowering the settings in your game helps somewhat only reinforces this.

You can get a better video card for under $100. Even though you'll be stuck with PCI, it's still going to be a major step up from the onboard video you have now. Another 512MB of ram (tripling the 256MB you have now) could cost as little as $35.

Look at it this way: For about the price of three new games you could make all the games you already own run much, much better.
    edited March 2005
    Ok, ill try the video card. If the problem continues ill reformat.

Thanks.
    edited March 2005
    Lol... One thing...

How do I tell if I got PCI Express?

I do know that my comp is not AGP.

But I have white slots, but that could be PCI or PCI express

So how do I know?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    If you didn't buy your PC this year, it's not going to be PCI Express.
    edited March 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    ...But I have white slots, but that could be PCI or PCI express...
    You want regular PCI. PCI Express is available only on the latest motherboards.
    edited March 2005
    Dam...
    edited March 2005
    I just got this after it happened when I started my computer...

C:\Docume~1\Joseph\Local~1\Temp\remmIDS.exe? file was missing.... I guess I should reformat because my comp is falling apart.... whats that file anyway...
    edited April 2005
    Dont mean to bump this thread but........

It happened again at my desktop.

I have a set of 1 GB memory of ram and a video card on there way.

Do you think if I get then in my computer it will stop?

Ill reformat if it continues....
    edited April 2005
    Well I think my problem is solved!

After installing 1 GB of ram my computer doesnt lock up on counterstrike anymore!

Now to install that video card....