FTP Uploader / Downloader

FreemymelodyFreemymelody On Earth
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I was wondering if there is a program that controls FTP uploading, so that I can copy the files/links to my website and let people download from it.
At least a program or software that uploads or host files so that you can download from it. Basically it.
I prolly don't make any sense here.

So far, I'm using a free file uploader and it's giving me so much trouble.

Any ideas, help would be appreciated... :)

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    i always liked cute ftp it was really simple
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2005
    Are you talking about software that lets *you* upload or download to an FTP? Or are you talking about software that lets you *host* an FTP so others can upload or download to an FTP site? Or are you wanting to allow people to upload and download driectly from your website?

Downloading from your website can be done through a browser, obviously, but uploading to it requires a server side script that allows for it, such as a Java script. But that script has to be supported by your website hosting company. Many have such scripts available, some scripts are free with the hosting package and some are paid options. Check with wherever your site is hosted if this is what you are looking for.

Otherwise, the easier way is to just host an FTP, either on your system with a static IP and use FTP hosting software like Serv-U, or just host an FTP through an ISP. Then put a link to it on your site. You can then let users upload and download straight through their browsers to the FTP site, or they can use FTP client software (I recommend WSFTP.)

Dexter...
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I recommend LeechFTP, although now unsupported (But still downloadable) it has done all that I ever ask.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    i use Bulletproof FTP to upload/download files to my web site.
    http://www.bpftp.com/
    but like dexter said..need to know which you are talking about
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Seems clear to me....
    At least a program or software that uploads or host files so that you can download from it. Basically it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    ServU FTP, Bulletproof FTP..
  • FreemymelodyFreemymelody On Earth
    edited March 2005
    Dexter wrote:
    Are you talking about software that lets *you* upload or download to an FTP? Or are you talking about software that lets you *host* an FTP so others can upload or download to an FTP site? Or are you wanting to allow people to upload and download driectly from your website?

Downloading from your website can be done through a browser, obviously, but uploading to it requires a server side script that allows for it, such as a Java script. But that script has to be supported by your website hosting company. Many have such scripts available, some scripts are free with the hosting package and some are paid options. Check with wherever your site is hosted if this is what you are looking for.

Otherwise, the easier way is to just host an FTP, either on your system with a static IP and use FTP hosting software like Serv-U, or just host an FTP through an ISP. Then put a link to it on your site. You can then let users upload and download straight through their browsers to the FTP site, or they can use FTP client software (I recommend WSFTP.)

Dexter...

At least a program or software that allows me to stored the files so that plp can download the files directly off of my website.

for example like this website. http://www.phoenicia-ra.com/ayumi/

something like her download section. I don't know if she's using a program or storing it off her computer..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    how do you get files to your website now? Do you use a sitebuilder, or a program like dreamweaver to upload files to the webserver?
    edited March 2005
    how do you get files to your website now? Do you use a sitebuilder, or a program like dreamweaver to upload files to the webserver?

I'm using and building a website with Macromedia Flash Mx...
    and I upload the swf files to my so called web hoster/server "Geocities".
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    How do you upload them, though? Using what program? Do you even use a program to upload them or does geocities have an uploader? I was trying to help you via MSN, but you ignored me :D
    edited March 2005
    How do you upload them, though? Using what program? Do you even use a program to upload them or does geocities have an uploader? I was trying to help you via MSN, but you ignored me :D

Geocities has it own file uploader. I saw you on MSN..but you appeared offline... :)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2005
    From the download section of that site you linked to:
    whenever you see numbers behind or next to a file this is what you have to do:
    click on the number, a new window will open with a file from a yahoo briefcase. that's where all the bigger files will be stored from now on

It looks like she has some of her files right on her webspace, simply by uploading them there with an FTP client, and the rest of them in a Yahoo breifcase, which she probably paid a small amount to have. The briefcase is an easy way to store a bunch of files, and may be cheaper than hosting lots of files on a regualr webspace. It all depends how much webspace you have available and how many files you want to host.

But since you are not trying to host this on your own server, then you just need a basic FTP client program to upload the files to your webspace, then put a link on your HTML page to the location of the file.

Dexter...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I believe that the free geocities pages disallow FTP client access.