Connecting wirelessly to an already secure network

Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I am using WinXP on this laptop (SP2) and I had to do a OS reinstall. Now my connections are all screwed up and I am actually using a unsecure wireless connection around here to post this ;D .

Anyway I need to connect to the secure network beause my mom is harassing me about her weather.com site taking more than 2.5 seconds to load or some nonsense. Anyway anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Make sure your wireless card drivers are installed correctly. Since you said the wireless network is secure, I'm assuming there is a WEP. You need to get that from the host and enter it (There should be something you need to uncheck like "This is already given to me"). Give the appropriate network name, case sensitive, and put the WEP and you should be able to connect.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2005
    If you know the Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) key (password) that is installed in the wireless router, then enter that in your WEP settings of the ethernet card. If you do not know this WEP key, log into the router and make a new one. You will then have to change the WEP key in any computer that connects to the wireless network

Dexter...
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited March 2005
    Hello again,

You guys said that I need to make sure my drivers are up to date and use the card's settings, but I'm not using a wireless card. I am currently using the built in 802.11g on this laptop, so is there something I need to do to cover that?

Sorry for the simple questions, I've never gotten along with networking. Well the software side of it anyway.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited March 2005
    Hello,

I think I may be confused, but can you answer a few questions? If so:
    Did you set up the router?
    Can you "see" the router wirelessly?
    What kind of "security" is on the router (WEP key, MAC filtering, etc)?
    What brand of router is it, and what brand of laptop?

thanks,

Max.
    edited March 2005
    maxanon wrote:
    Hello,

I think I may be confused, but can you answer a few questions? If so:
    Did you set up the router?
    Can you "see" the router wirelessly?
    What kind of "security" is on the router (WEP key, MAC filtering, etc)?
    What brand of router is it, and what brand of laptop?

thanks,

Max.

Hello there,

lets all have a confusion party :celebrate

but seriously yes I can answer you questions.

The router was set up by someone, but not by me. I do, however, know how to check the settings and all that good stuff so no need to worry about that.

I can see the router wirelessly. When I click on "View available wireless networks" I see my router and the two around me. My router however says under it "secure network..."

As far as a I know, unless this guy did something he did not tell me, I should have a WEP encryption on it.

The router is a D-Link and the Laptop is HP. I have a D-Link card but it is sometimes problematic on the install so if it is just easier to install that and use it I will.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • edited March 2005
    I can see the router wirelessly. When I click on "View available wireless networks" I see my router and the two around me. My router however says under it "secure network..."

As far as a I know, unless this guy did something he did not tell me, I should have a WEP encryption on it.
    If your network is secure, then you should be able to jump on it by double-clicking on it then entering the WEP key.

If you can jump on your network without entering the key, then
    a) Windows somehow stored your normal login key (doubtful but possible)
    b) Your wireless network isn't completely secure.

I would post more, but I may not be 100% accurate on how to setup WEP (I had to run the Linksys NetSet client to get it to work right) so I won't touch it.
    edited March 2005
    When I try to join the network a screen pops up saying it is establishing connection and then gives me an error message saying I don't have access to the network. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere I can change my SSID or something I just have no clue where to find it.

Thanks for your help everyone so far

Later,
    Alex
    edited March 2005
    Do you see the wireless network Icon in your system tray, bottom right corner? If so, double click it. It will show the available wireless network. Click on Advanced. This will let you check the settings. Make sure the SSID matches the one in the router. Check things like the channel, encryption type and strength, etc, to make sure they all match. Exit the advanced options by clicking Apply / OK, then try to connect to the network. Enter the WEP key (enter it twice to confirm.) Make sure the "Enable IEEE802.xx authorization" box is checked ON. Then hit connect and see if it goes.

Dexter...
    edited March 2005
    Problem Solved! :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone who helped out, Dexter your post was especially helpful. I'll try to pass on the info as best I can. Thanks again!

Later,
    Alex
    edited March 2005
    :thumbsup:

Dexter...