Router questions

gtghmgtghm New
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
What is WDS (Wireless Distribution System)?

I have a WRT54G and have found HyperWRT http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=25 but there are two versions one that adds WDS and a regular one.

What is the porupose and advantage to using/having WDS?

Also there are many different ways to set up my wireless connection with my lappy. I have chosen to use WPA Pre-Shared Key (WPA2 is not an option with this router) I have a question about which is the better Algorithms TKIP or AES?

It appears that they are different but I can not find any info on which one is the better security.

Also has any one out there tried the HyperWRT flash on their WRT54G router?

If so any problems or thing to be concerned about?

The main reason that I am looking into this is because I can't get enough power out of this stupid router to get a good connection in the front room of my house. According to the HyperWRT site I should be able to boost the signal strength... What I don't want to do though is leave the router open to attacks or make it too complicated to set up the security on it after the fireware update....

Thanks,
"g"

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2005
    Ok I just flashed my router with the HyperWRT firmware without the WDS and set the antenna boost to 83% which seems to have helped a lot.

I notice now on my laptop that the connection speed seems to be going up and down like a yo yo. Is that a normal thing?

what would causes this anyone know?

"g"