NTL Broadband Upgrades Official Information

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Official information on NTL's upcoming broadband speed increases in the UK has now been made available. The original bandwidth assumptions made were not 100% correct. New and updated information can be seen below:

• From 300k To 1MB [3GB Per Month]
• From 750k To 2MB [1GB Per Day]
• From 1.5MB To 3MB [1GB Per Day]

View: Complete the upgrade now (stand-alone cablemodem only)
All the speed increases can still be confirmed as a free upgrade, all existing users will be upgraded as of 14th March 2005.
Pretty much all ISP's are doing the same here in the UK, upgrading significantly for free. The next few months, while all these upgrades take place, will definitely be a milestone for the UK in terms of cooling the cost of broadband.

Source: NTL

Comments

• edited March 2005
    3GB per month?!?!?! jesus
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited March 2005
    I would kill myself.

Of course... being on a modem that slow would probably do the job for me.

Why can't Charter get some decency and upgrade us?! :bawling: Hell, scratch that, I want fiber! 2 MB upload... drool. That's faster than I generally get on download - so much for paying for 3 MB. Jerks :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    6000/768 cable, no monthly bandwidth cap.

Wide Open West. $60/month.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited March 2005
    Curse you. "3000/256" no cap, $48/month WITH Charter TV.

The speeds are in quotes because we never, ever get that. :(
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    So will this new 1Gb/day cap be enforced? I hope not...

~Cyrix
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I thought NTL was Cable, not ADSL...
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It is. Change ADSL for broadband and you're a winner.

~Cyrix
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    I thought NTL was Cable, not ADSL...
    That's right. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that. Edited. Cable and ADSL ISP's pretty much compete directly and despite the differences in the infrastructure's they work through, if one starts cranking down prices (by upgrading packages accross the board) the others have to follow suit to keep up.

BT's ADSL infrastructure is now really kicking off its previous limitations and by doing so has significantly pushed the market forward at the benefit of the comsumer.

Cable based ISP's like NTL and Telewest tend to have slightly cheaper packages, and obviously faster packages (3MB as apposed to BT's ADSL which only recently made available 2MB) but with appauling upload speeds and typically Cable ISP's have more packages with allowance caps.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Telewest's is the exception to the rule. Top package is 4MB Down, 35kb up and no download caps of any kind.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    Necropolis wrote:
    Telewest's is the exception to the rule. Top package is 4MB Down, 35kb up and no download caps of any kind.

35kb upload, oh dear thats really bad, surely thats a typo.

Anyway I tried the online upgrade but it didn't work so I guess that my area has not been done yet.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    6000/768 cable, no monthly bandwidth cap.

Wide Open West. $60/month.

same here, except for some reason I pay $10 less than you :confused:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    same here, except for some reason I pay $10 less than you :confused:

We pay $50 too. I just typoed and was too lazy to fix it. ;D
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    Necropolis wrote:
    You see, that package looks really appealing to us UK'ers (presuming of course Nec' meant 350kbps up), but I imagine to most of you U.S of A'ers it's a bit on the pathetic side for a top package.

The one thing that really pees me off here in the UK is that ISP's don't even think people want better upload speeds. I use video conferencing all the time over IM, but regardless of the 2MB speed my downstream is, I'm still limited to a measily 256kbps connection simply because that form of communication is obviously only as quick as you can send data. This obviously applies to gaming as well.

The day some ISP offers me equal ratios, is the day I'll take out a bank loan to sign up with them.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    On a lighter note, the upgrade was dead quick. Called them before I went to work, was upgraded when I was back :)

I am now curious to see if they will enforce this cap.

Jim... I thought you had changed for UKOnline 8MB?
    edited March 2005
    Balls, thats what happens when you try and think about three things at the same time and type ;D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Necropolis wrote:
    Balls, thats what happens when you try and think about three things at the same time and type ;D
    Your connection is so fast, it's posts typos so much quicker :D;D
    edited March 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Your connection is so fast, it's posts typos so much quicker :D;D

That was posted from my work internet mate, which is about 3 times quicker again ;)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2005
    5MB Down and 512kb up, no limit for $45 but since Road Runner likes to keep its people, they can easily be bargined with. For $8 less I could go with SBC DSL (Even tho physically we cant get it at our apt) so we get an $8 discount to match their price at like $36/month.

I would go over the 1Gb of transfer a day. I know I have done it before. Several DVDs in 2 days.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    Shorty wrote:

Jim... I thought you had changed for UKOnline 8MB?

Yeah well I tried with UKOnline but they cocked things up and although I'm within pissing distance of the exchange, my BT line is either so old & decrepit or routed a really wierd way & the max it will support is 1mb supposedly. It did however reach 2.5mb but the ping was so crap I switched back to NTL.
  • edited March 2005
    Just change to equivalent NTL Business service for the same price and there's no cap ! Will have to pay £90 setup fee though.
  • edited March 2005
    hey its been 9 days since this upgrade thing for NTL, do i have to phone them? or will they do it auto? I dont like phoninf them as when they first installed my net i was on the phone to them for 3 days non stop due to their crappy wiring... they had to come and re-wire it all.... EJITS!
    so anyways if some could email me on: aDam@ifurbored.co.uk to let me know if the upgrade is auto i would be very much happy :)
    thanks peoples
    from aDam
  • edited March 2005
    somehow i dont think they will go into those big extremes!!!1mb yea right!!!