slighty major problem with networking

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok so I've had a belkin router for about two years now and ive only been using it to share an internet connection to my computer in my room, one in the living room and my ps2.
So a few days ago at school I was in computers class and decided it would be nice to set up a home network. I get home and proceed to the wizard that microsoft provides to set up a home network, and I do give them credit, it looked rock solid and promissing as far as what I wanted to do (share files, printers).I get done putting all the computers on the same workgroup, give them each a different name, resart, I proceed to click the "show workgroup computers" button type thing and uh-ohhhh..the network is unaccessable. well well well. I do the basic and typical trouble shooting process, STEP 1: panic, STEP 2: try to fix and check everything at once STEP 3: calm down, STEP 4: call some other hip-hop computer friends. lol anyway the most that I could find out is that my router, a belkin, has no built in switch, so in the good spirit of using my parents money and impatience of ordering from newegg, i dont bother to go and get just a switch, i walk past them and pick up a nice, new, and shiny linksys BEFSX41 firewall broadband router thinking "this will make everything work, its $85!" :thumbsup: so I go home, un-hook my old router and proceed to install the new one, after i get over the fact that no printed manual is supplied, cheap bastards :mad: , I finish setting it up. then go through the promising but compromising network setup wizard and to no avail it does the same thing "damn-it" :scratch: ....now, ive come to you for help..am I not doing something right, i have xp pro on one and xp home on the other and im not too woried about networking my PS2,,,lol. I'd appreciate any help I can get on this, one note that may or may not matter, I have norton internet security '04 and systemworks '05 on the xp home machine in my living room and xp pro on the machine in my room, it only has windows firewall.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Try temporarily disabling all the firewalls and Norton security stuff. If that works you'll know that the problem is a configuration setting with one (or both) of them. You may need to re-run the Network setup wizard afterwards.

Did you merely enable file sharing, or did you actually share a folder on the network? My most oft-repeated mistake is setting everything up right, then forgetting to actually share a folder on each computer. Make sure your printer is shared, too. You'll also have to "install" the printer on the other computers. I say "install" because you don't need to run the setup program from the printer manufacturer, just use the add/remove printers and make sure you tell the wizard that it's a network printer.

FWIW, I've seen many situations where you had to run the network wizard several times for the settings to take. :rolleyes:

You may want to bypass the wizard and try just sharing a folder on each computer, sharing the printer, and double check that each computer is listed as being in the same workgroup.

Also, in your routers management section there should be an area listing all the client computers it sees. Make sure they're all showing up there.

Good Luck! :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I've tried disabling the norton stuff and to no avail, once I got it to actually show a networked computer, the one in my room but no the other one...didnt really get that one, if i tried to access it it would say :network resource not found " or something like that... and the thing is the computer in my room doesnt have the printers hooked up to it and thats mainly what im wanting, but i can see where the file sharring would make my life much easier. Is there any other hope for me...i.e. manually setting it up,3rd party....etc
    edited March 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    ...You may want to bypass the wizard and try just sharing a folder on each computer, sharing the printer, and double check that each computer is listed as being in the same workgroup.

Also, in your routers management section there should be an area listing all the client computers it sees. Make sure they're all showing up there...
    I think you were probably typing your response while I edited in the last bit. See if that helps. :)
  • edited March 2005
    I am having the same problem, except I do not know where to start as far as setting things up goes. I have tried the wizard too, and it didnt fricking work. I want to know how to do this and whether or not there is a way to do it without having a main / "host" computer. Click over a thread to "Networking Computers with XP, Computer Illiterate Here" or else please help me in this thread, I am in desperate need of a network type setup! If you read my first post it says what exactly I want to do. Please, have mercy on the Newbie and help
    edited March 2005
    Ok...I guess im not as educated about networking as I thought I was, do you have to set a computer as the host computer for all the others? :confused:
  • edited March 2005
    I see alot of questions and no answers, where are the computer Nerds on this site anyhow?
    edited March 2005
    ...do you have to set a computer as the host computer for all the others? :confused:
    Nope. What you are trying to do is called a peer-to-peer network. All computers on the network are equal.

Your question leads me to believe that you may have set up the Internet wizard to have all computers connect through a single computer. With the router you have you don't want that. Just set each computer to connect straight to the Internet. Can all of your computers access the Internet through the router?

The reason this works is that your router performs a nifty little trick known as Network Address Translation (NAT). You will typically get one IP address from your ISP. The router grabs that one for itself. Then it makes up a local IP address for each of the computers on your network. My router is a different model Linksys than yours, but the setup screens are fairly similar.

Your local computers are by default going to be assigned local IP's of

etc.

To enter your routers setup screen type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser and press "Go". Look for a button named "DHCP Client Table" and see if all your computers are listed.

What we want to do first is make sure that all of the computers are being seen by the router properly. Once we know that to be true we can flesh out the details.

sailinstud420: We try not to crossover different threads, even if the problems seem identical. It just makes it too hard to keep track of who's saying what and to whom. I'll try and get over to your thread and pitch in if I can. :) In the meantime, it certainly wouldn't hurt to read through this thread to see if any of the ideas pertain to your situation.

Assuming the hardware is sound, I am sure that this can all be sorted out for both of you. Hang in there. :D
  • edited March 2005
    I got some helpful info there, maybe I'll just jump on this bandwagon. Let me ask you this, How can I find out if my router is capable of networking (NAT, im talking computer now.....)??
    edited March 2005
    ...How can I find out if my router is capable of networking (NAT, im talking computer now.....)??
    What is the brand and model#?

By definition, all routers should be able to do NAT.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    Your router is probably capable.

If you do not understand networking keep it very simple. DO NOT JACK WITH SETTINGS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND OR YOU MAKE IT MUCH WORSE.

In this order..

1) setup a NEW user and IDENTICAL password on every computer.

Log onto that user now ON EVERY COMPUTER. Name it test with a passord of test for now. Do the password!

Run the wizard to setup home networking and make sure it
    1) has everyone in the same workgroup

2) enables file and printer sharing.

After the wizard completes reboot EVERY computer and go share some directory or files on EVERY computer. It disables file sharing by default.

Reboot every computer and go drink a beer. Or wait 15 minutes without touching any computer!

Now go and check for the computers in the workgroup and browse the shares

Tex
    edited March 2005
    Sorry for the confussion I have them set up to connect through a local router..thats right? is it not? and yes both of my computers and my ps2 can access the internet but no acual networking in happening...as for the dhcp client table, i couldnt find it in the menu
    edited March 2005
    Sorry for the confussion I have them set up to connect through a local router..thats right? is it not? and yes both of my computers and my ps2 can access the internet but no acual networking in happening...
    Do what Tex suggested. The fact that all the computers can see the Internet through the router means your physical connections are working fine.
    as for the dhcp client table, i couldnt find it in the menu
    This screenshot from the pdf manual for your router is pretty fuzzy, but it ought to give you the idea:
    edited March 2005
    Its getting the IP's assigned and they are all on the internet.

Its a matter of running the wizard and getting file and printer sharing enabled for sure on each box. I have had users on a network get so fubard that a certain user on the network on a computer couldnt see the other computers but a fresh new user could. Thats why I suggested starting fresh with a NEW user and password thats identical for every computer just to troubleshoot.

Tex
    edited March 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Its getting the IP's assigned and they are all on the internet...

Yes. Indeed. I was answering his question about the DHCP Clients Table.
    profdlp wrote:
    Do what Tex suggested. The fact that all the computers can see the Internet through the router means your physical connections are working fine...
    edited March 2005
    i found the client table, and here it is...dont go and hack my computers....lol....hope this can help u figure something out... i posted a pic for ya...

Image1.jpg
    edited March 2005
    We can't hack you as those are private IP's assigned by your router to the internal computers on your network and are not accessible through the internet.

In fact I would venture to guess that there were hundreds of millions of computers worldwide with the same IP address's. Maybe a billion.

And profdlb I wasnt jacking with you earlier in any way! Sorry if it looked that way?

The router is working!

You do not need a router to network your home pc's. You need a tiiny subset of it's capabilities (a switch or hub)

And those are working and present. Or you couldn't hit the internet either. This isnt hard but you must follow basic simple directions EXACTLY.

Go to my post above and simply follow the directions given step by step.

Tex
    edited March 2005
    OK...but instead of the beer i prefer mixed drinks when my moms not looking :cool:
    --EDIT--

Do I have to set up a user and password on both computers, i had a password on my computer till i got a virus and had to format install...get pissed t microsoft etc... but my parents are kinda technologically challenged and dont like the idea of passowrd and i would prob never hear the end of it
    edited March 2005
    ...Do I have to set up a user and password on both computers... but my parents are kinda technologically challenged and dont like the idea of passowrd...
    First things first. Get your networking working. After that you can go back and change the password to *blank*, or use TweakUI to autologon to an account.
    edited March 2005
    ok...
    edited March 2005
    i have an off topic question. I have a gig or pc-2700 mem layin around but i have pc-3200 in my pc right now with two open dimms, i dont think you can, but can you mis match mem?
    edited March 2005
    You can often use mismatched ram, but keep in mind that it will drop down to the slower speed. If your CPU runs on a 333MHz FSB it might be worth a try, considering that an additional gig of ram would likely perk things up a good bit. If your CPU runs on a 400MHz FSB you would have to have a memory divider on your MB to do it, which may not be a great idea performance-wise.

Real World, you'd really have to experiment with it to see if it worked and was worth doing.
    edited March 2005
    OK...but instead of the beer i prefer mixed drinks when my moms not looking :cool:
    --EDIT--

Do I have to set up a user and password on both computers, i had a password on my computer till i got a virus and had to format install...get pissed t microsoft etc... but my parents are kinda technologically challenged and dont like the idea of passowrd and i would prob never hear the end of it

The idea was to burn time mosty. One beer is about 10 to 15 minutes unless you guzzle.

Koolaid works too.

You need identical users and passwords on ALL machines.

To test and troubleshoot make one NEW user and PASSWORD thats IDENTICAL on EVERY computer.

Just to TEST for now. The goal is to eliminate as many variables as possible in as few posts here as possible.

lets get it working and then worry about your technologicaly challenged parents. I understand your probs but i am trying hard to cut through as many layers of probs in one swoop as possible.

Tex
    edited March 2005
    ok i did the steps...to no avail..im seriously thinkin that it is either the gay ass hp's fault or...nortons fault, im using hope

:(
    edited March 2005
    Have you done this?
    ...try sharing a folder on each computer...
    edited March 2005
    yes I have. but i noticed that i didnt do one thing, i didnt give all the computers the same user and password, i thought u just meant to give a user and password...ill try that when i get back home from school...im sitting in computer class here..... :shakehead im the geek in here and am going crazy, i think im the taecher...not mr sacket, he just sits there, i dont think he knows what hes teaching...ah well....
    edited March 2005
    you can often also enable the "guest" user account but jsut till we get it working do it just as I posted. Enabling the guest account is a much greater security risk.

Tex