Seting up a website server, Need help please

edited March 2005 in Internet & Media
Hello everyone.

I hope some of you can help me. I have amd 64 bit and I am trying to set it up as a webserver. I have purchased a domain set up DNS, installed win server 2003, IIS, ASP, webDAV, I have created a website used the wizardin IIS and everything seems to work proparly.
EXCEPT: when I type my address in address bar it won't open the www site, it says (cannot find the server).
I have basically went by the book (IIS by microsoft) and I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Please help me. Thanks

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    when you say "set up DNS" - what do you mean? Do you have a static IP or a dynamic IP from your ISP? and is port 80 set to forward on your router?

if you type

"http://localhost"

in your web browser, does your site come up?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2005
    kiteplans wrote:
    Hello everyone.

I hope some of you can help me. I have amd 64 bit and I am trying to set it up as a webserver. I have purchased a domain set up DNS, installed win server 2003, IIS, ASP, webDAV, I have created a website used the wizardin IIS and everything seems to work proparly.
    EXCEPT: when I type my address in address bar it won't open the www site, it says (cannot find the server).
    I have basically went by the book (IIS by microsoft) and I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Please help me. Thanks

Have you tryed fowarding port 80 on your router :P

Also windows IIS is the worse you could be using here try this http://www.apache.org/

I havent hosted a windows webserver. (only on debian *linux distro*) before but your most likely thing is you forgot to foward the port its very easy to do

just go to your routers web interface go to the section called port fowarding tell it to foward port 80 to your ip
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    IIS is NOT the "worst" you could be using.. It's a highly robust, enterprise level webserver. Apache is indeed more popular and probably faster, and probably more secure, but IIS is by no means a slouch. It's easier to set up than apache, especially if this is the first time you've set up a webserver.