GA-8IK1100 (rev.2) Powers up but won't post.

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi, good thing I found this forum, I hope you guys/girls can help me out here. Last night everything was working fine and I didn't download or change any settings on my computer last night but this afternoon I go to power it up and the fans spin around and the green power light goes on, but the hard drive light doesn't light up and the computer makes no beeps and shows no video. I've removed all the hardware from the motherboard except for the cpu and the hard drive light remains on even though it's no longer installed unless I plug my video card in, then the hard drive light doesn't go on at all. I installed the hard drive without the video card and the drive light remains on also however there are still no beeps and I can't hear the hard drive spinning up or down. I've removed the battery and unplugged the case and left it for 30 minutes at a time. Perhaps the battery is dead for the CMOS, is there a way that I can test the battery, I don't have a multi meter or whatever electricians use to test for electrical current so if you have any tips on how to check if the battery is working please let me know.

Rockshocker

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Try resetting the bios - just make sure you keep track of any special settings you'll need to restore. Check the settings in the bios (if you can get that far after the reset) and see what it says under Hard Drives/IDE Connections.

If you have a spare power supply (or a friend who'll loan you one) you might want to try that.

As for the battery, I'd just buy another. You can probably get one for a couple of bucks. If it works with the new battery then you'll know the old one was dead. If not, it won't hurt to have a spare handy.

Good Luck! :)
  • edited March 2005
    I'm going to try the battery from my other computer first. And if that doesn't work then I will test each component from the dead computer in the live computer and see if something doesn't work. And as a last resort I'll swap the power supplies, but unfortunately I can't keep the power supply from the good computer swapped because it doesn't have enough power to run my main computer. Also would a dead battery cause the computer to not post. I have tried turning on the computer with the battery removed and I get the same results as with having it installed, no post, no beeps.
  • edited April 2005
    I have the same problem, but nothing seems to work, replaced battery, checking PS next. Its really baffling. Perhaps a fried Mainboard?

The machine with the problem is:
    GA-8IK1100 Mainboard
    P4 3.0 GHz (800FSB)
    2 GB DDR 400 RAM
    7 HDDs (432GB worth)
    3 CD/R Drives
    3 DVD ROM Drives
    600W Power Supply (Just bought a week ago..)
    ATI X800 PRO AGP

I turned it off, went and watched a movie, then I walk back and this.
    I've tested the processor, vid card, HDDs, all appear to be good.
    It powers on, but the HDD light remains lit, nothing happens after that, no video, no POST beeps. Should I go return the Power supply?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    doesn't sound like a power problem.

The first thing that you should do is check the motherboard for problems, visually. Look for any scorch-marks, or blown caps. (A blown cap will look like a normal cap, except that it will be rounded on top instead of flat.) If the motherboard looks okay physically, then run memtest to see if it is a memory problem.
  • edited April 2005
    The PSU, despite being a 600W PSU, may perform well below that or may be faulty. I say go with a brand name PSU (Antec) and give it a try.
  • edited April 2005
    I have an Okia 600W PSU, I've checked for blown caps, I see none. I think the PSU is good seeing as I just bought it a week or so ago, but it could just be me. You guys think my board is fried? :bawling:
  • edited April 2005
    The PSU isn't the problem I unplugged everyhting but the board.