Flashing BIOS.

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Hello to everyone on my first visit.

I have a query about flashing my bios. I am running Windows 2000 Server on the machine and currently at 280 FSB and 1.7vcore with a 2500+ Barton Core CPU.

I was wanting to flash the BIOS because the motherboard only supports up to 280 FSB so I downloaded correct tools from msi.com.tw and followed instructions. Seemed pretty simple so I created a WIN98 boot disk and rebooted but have just realised that the bootdisk (or any other boot disk I could find) does NOT support SATA drives.

Does anybody know of a way I can do this? Any help much appreciated. This is only my third time attempting an overclock so please be gentle :)

Oh yes, the motherboard is an MSI KTV-6 (MS-7021). :p

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    You don't need to worry about SATA when doing a bios flash. The only items involved are the floppy disk and the bios chip on the motherboard.

All you are doing is reprogramming the bios to a different version. After the flash you will want to go through the bios and make sure that everything is set properly.

Just make sure you follow the instructions very carefully. I'd recommend printing them out before you start. :)
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply.

The thing is, the tool that I downloaded from MSI says to extract files to a directory called c:\test (which I did obviously) and then they say when you use the bootdisk into DOS to loacte that directory and run a file off it.

The problem arises because there is no c: , the only c: there is a virtual drive created by the bootdisk. :scratch:

Make sense?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Yes, that makes perfect sense. :)

If this is the bios you're flashing to:
    (the latest one listed for your board at MSI)
    v. 2.0 267 kb AMD AMI BIOS 10/21/2004

you should be able to fit the 267kb file on the bootable Win98 floppy and run it from there.

MSI likes to have you store the new bios files on the hard drive, but it shouldn't be necessary.
  • edited March 2005
    Also, don't use a Win98 boot disk to flash with; use a flashing boot disk instead that is just a basic dos disk with no extras like memory managers and crap like that. Instead, use DRD Flash from from this page here , which will make a great flashing boot disk that gives you plenty of room to put the bios file and flashing program on it too.
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks very much guys, I'll try that flash bootdisk.

and thanks for moving thread :)