SuSE 9.2 & VIA K8T800/8237 install issues

scotchfxscotchfx Austin, TX
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I am trying to boot YAST from the SuSE 9.2 installation disk for the purposes of creating a dual boot Linux64/WinXP partition...

When I run the installation disk and select the normal "Installation" mode YAST hangs - checking the verbose output the installer is attempting some kind of "soft raid" initialization...

I currently have a RAID 0 striping array setup through the VIA VT8237 controller on my motherboard (here are my hardware details in case they don't come up on my sig):

2 x AMD Opteron 248 (2.2GHz)
MSI K8T Master2-FAR / Award v1.1 BIOS
2 GB of TwinX1024RE-3200LLPT (4 x 512MB)
2 x 74GB WD Raptor (*boot partition* RAID 0 on VT8237)
Highpoint RocketRAID 1540 PCI card
2 x 250GB Maxtor Diamondmax9 (RAID 1 on HPT1540)
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9700 128MB (AGP 8x)
Enermax EG651P-VEFM (550W 24-pin ATX PSU)
Lian-Li PC-69 Aluminum Mid-Tower Case
WinXP SP2 and all critical updates

I have been informed that I will need to add/enable 8237 RAID support in the kernal however being a Linux noob I'm almost completely clueless as to how to go about doing this. The jist of the advice I've received thus far is that I need to install a minimal version of Linux on a separate drive, then rebuild the kernal and re-install on my primary RAID 0 partition (the WD Raptors running on the VT8237 controller) however I'm still not clear on how to get from point A (rebuilding the kernal) to point B (reinstalling the now-rebuilt kernal)...?

How do I go about rebuilding the kernal to include VT8237 RAID support on an external USB drive?

Once I've done this, how do I tell the SuSE installer (i.e. the DVD I ordered from SuSE containing the 9.2 professional installation) to install the kernal from my external (USB hopefully) drive as opposed that which is contained on the DVD?

I've found the following .rpm packages for what seems like VT8237 support but I'm not sure if these have already been included in my current 9.2 distro or if I need to add the separately...

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2 (may need to navigate a bit)

Any help would be much appreciated - I'm afraid I'm a bit lost in the woods here...

Thanks!!!