Building a new Pc...parts decided, but need to chose case and power supply! Advice!

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi all.

Im looking to build a PC with the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+(socket 939, Winchester core)
OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K 2x512M PC3200 Kit 2-2-2-5 (I believe this is their platinum ram)
ATI Radeon x800xl
A8V-E Deluxe mobo
Western Digital 120GB, 7200rpm. 8mb cache, Ultra ATA 100
A DVD drive(undecided so far)

I know I need:
A case
Power supply

My questions:
1) Can you guys think of what else I need? I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
2) Do you know if all my parts are compatible or not?
3) Will this machine overclock fairly good(BTW, these are all retail parts IIRC not OEM)?
4) Can you guys recommend a good cheap case and power supply for this? Im hoping to keep it around $150 combined price for both.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I would suggest going with an NF4 over that VIA chipset board. I would recomend (not necesarilly in order at all).

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

DFI"LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

And for memory the best by far right now is:

OCZ Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Gold VX 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000

I regret to inform you that for the PSU you should spend your case/ PSU allowance on just a PSU so you will have a good quality unit to keep your system stable. There are several that will fit the bill nicely and $150.00 is in the average. I do recomend a high 12V rail of at least 30A with more being better!

Also go with a Serial ATA drive instead of an Ultra ATA drive.

The
    NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW ND-3520A
    will fill all your needs for an optical drive with room to spare.
  • edited March 2005
    OK...

I think Ill go with the DFI card w/o SLI

I have an old case I might use, but its pretty damn old. Im worried that it might not provide too good venitilation. I shall see if I can find a good old case at work that I can use.

Will that RAM overclock well?

Again, thanks alot.
    edited March 2005
    UPDATE:

I just got my Thermalright XP-90 installed and it was possibly the easiest HS install I ever did! I can't beleive how smooth it was and the XP-120 is notorius for being a biotch to install and it also would need to be removed if changing the RAM in slot 4 of the DFI boards. Folding (full load) at stock speed my CPU temp is 29C. I just got it all up and running last night after doing some rearranging.

All the memory Omega65 listed is good too. But for the little extra the OCZ VX looks tempting enough for me to trade up to from my Patriot PC3200 XBL w/ TCCD 9which would go in my wife's new rig). BTW All memory listed so far will clock like a bomb on steroids!;)
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks guys. Im making my decisions right now. :)

I think Ill def. go with the ram goat posted.

I think ill go with a budget case like the Codegen 620, an OCZ Powerstream power supply, and Im still deciding mobo. Soo many options!

EDIT: actually, since it seems as though both goat and omega have DFI nF4 Ultrra D mobos, Ill go for that.
  • edited March 2005
    These guys have already given you some excellent advice on the mobo and ram so I'll concentrate on a psu for you. The Winny A64 isn't a very hard beast to cool and the stock retail hsf that comes with it will overclock it to 2300 MHz or so without problems, so getting a premium hsf isn't as great a priority as buying a quality psu if your cash is strapped at the moment. You can always add a better hsf in the future if you really want to push it anyways. BTW, that XP90 is a great choice and if you look around from time to time, can find some decent deals on them.

For a psu, I would recommend a PC Power & Cooling, Fortron Source, Antec or OCZ psu of 420 watts or greater, with a rating of 480 watts or higher preferred. Those 4 psu companies make quality products and won't disappoint you.
  • edited March 2005
    I think Ill look into OCZ. Whats the diff b/w Powerstream and Modstream psu?
  • edited March 2005
    To tell the truth, I'm sot sure, but MackanzOCZ can surely fill you in on the difference. I think that either of them would be a good choice though. I have no actual hands-on experience with the OCZ psu's but I've read glowing reports of their stability and power from multiple websites. The next psu purchase I make will be an OCZ psu though, you can bet on that.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2005
    The OCZ VX Gold PC4000 is currently the best Memory available. When run at FSB260-270 2-2-2-8 (Anandtech Review) It outperforms even TCCD running at >300mhz (2.5-3-3-10) but requires >3.3v for maximum FSB & performance (The DFI Ultra-D is great for this)
    leafs rule wrote:
    I think Ill look into OCZ. Whats the diff b/w Powerstream and Modstream psu?
    The Modstream has removable cables, the Powerstream has rear mounted adjustable power rails with LED indicators

The BEST PSU is the PC Power & Cooling TurboCool SLI 510w ~$230 and not yet (widely) available Turbo-Cool 850 SSI
    To date (02/23/2005), PC Power & Cooling is the only firm manufacturing two NVIDIA SLI READY power supplies: the Turbo-Cool 510 SLI and the Turbo-Cool 850 SSI. Only components that pass NVIDIA SLI certification can be called “NVIDIA SLI READY.” The NVIDIA SLI certification process includes diagnostics, benchmarking, burn in, as well as card interoperability testing.

And that includes the OCZ Powerstream 600w which was submitted to Nvidia for testing and did not pass......But is running Nvidia 6800Ultra SLI for many people.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2005
  • edited March 2005
    Hey guys...I have an Ultra ATA HDD that I want to reuse to save costs. Would I face compatibility problems with my PSU and mobo if I go with DFI Lan party nForce 4 and a OCZ Powerstream?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    No, a Powerstream will be fine with the board & hard drive. I bought a 600w one a couple of days ago and it really is a very good psu.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited April 2005
    I have this PSU and its GREAT! I definitely recommend it- very very quiet.
    http://thermaltake.com/purepower/W001314.htm
    17-153-007-04.JPG
    17-153-007-06.JPG
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2005
    While thermaltake psu's are good for what they are, (I should know, I have one), I'm afraid the 12v rail doesn't really carry enough ampage for the set up leafs rule is planning on getting, especially if he intends to overclock it.
    edited April 2005
    Also, for an NF4 mobo a 24 pin PSU is highly recomended. I also recomend one with at least 30A on the 12V rail.
  • edited April 2005
    i currently have a antec trublue 480 powersupply, powerin my msi k8n neo4 platnium/sli board, my board is 24 pins and the psu is 20 pins, is there gona be any problems? do i need to change the power supply? should i change it to the antec true550eps12v or tpII550epc12v?
    msi k8n neo4 platnium/sli board
    amd64 3200 939pins
    5 80mm blue antec led fans
    2 120gig sata maxtor hard drives
    2 msi nvidia geforce 6600gt sli pcie
    pioneer 16x slot dvd drive
    yamaha 3200 burner
    antec plusview 1000 amg
    antec trueblue480
    2 512mb ram ddr400 from samsung
    vantec NXP-301 fan and light controler