Solidworks

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I am getting a copy of this program free from a buddy who has a few legal copies he got becuase of his job.

I've been through the site for this program, but still not quite sure about it all. However, I am curious if any of you know about this program and if I should take it very serious or not as to how much of an asset this would be for my resume. I know any knowledge is good knowledge, but I would need to take a lot of time out of my way to get to know it first and play around. Of course I love playing with anything new, I am just wanting your input on this is all :thumbsup:

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    SolidWorks is a mechanical modelling application along the lines of ProEngineer. It's awesome for engineering design. You can create 3d rendered parts which you can consume into an assembly. I've seen a solidworks assembly with over 2000 parts :eek:

My previous employer used it alot of the mechanical part of an optical switch. Id recommend looking at the solidworks site http://www.solidworks.com/ to get a real idea as to what you are going to be tinkering with :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Yeah that's where I got most my information about it. Hopefully I don't encounter any problems registering my copy, it's a one year licence which should be more than enough for me to tinker with it and get to know it.

I can't wait, should be here Wednesday!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Now get to designing a bulldozer or a washing machine! :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    My first design will be an H&K USP :D I wanna do that kinda pull apart view that's usually done as a drawing instead of 3D. Like one of these....
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It's simular to solidedge ...some say more difficult to learn. I know a company that uses both and the girl that uses sworks also knows sedge. She's the only draftsman who knows sworks and her job is pretty secure.
    I think they'd go 100% sedge but for some reason sworks has something that they still really need.