Dual Core Athlon 64 Preview

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
HardwareUpgrade from Italy have a reputed benchmark & screenshots of a Dual-Core engineering sample Athlon 64 running at 2.4 GHz that was on show at CEBIT. In Cinebench 2003 it outperforms a dual Opteron 250 (only just!) Impressive if it's true.

Its in Italian but the screenshots speak for themselves :)

Source: HardwareUpgrade

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    saw that, very impressive
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    When are these due out BTW? I think they are supposed to work in current mothers as well right? If you have the right socket?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2005
    are they the equivalant of hyperthreading?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Superior to HT.
    edited March 2005
    are they for servers or home users?
    edited March 2005
    Both.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Armo wrote:
    are they for servers or home users?

Anyone who wants the power of dual processing.... I had HEARD that you can put it in any single socket motherboard but I am not sure about that. Of course it has to be the same socket. It's just like having two processors, but it's on one chip instead. Unlike HT which only pretends... it's more like 1.2 processors :p
    edited March 2005
    lol 1.2, so its actuall dual core, not emulation? thats seems cool, i like HT for folding, cuz i run it 24/7, cept when i have a UT match i cant have any lag, i might have to shoot at some 1 ;) but it runs 50% of my cpu power indefinitly and i can turn 2 instances on, an AMD 64 is most definitly my next CPU to purchase, maybe this could be somthing to look into further, unless they are like a million-billion dollars
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Armo wrote:
    lol 1.2, so its actuall dual core, not emulation? thats seems cool, i like HT for folding, cuz i run it 24/7, cept when i have a UT match i cant have any lag, i might have to shoot at some 1 ;) but it runs 50% of my cpu power indefinitly and i can turn 2 instances on, an AMD 64 is most definitly my next CPU to purchase, maybe this could be somthing to look into further, unless they are like a million-billion dollars

My rule of thumb is... if ANY component costs more than $300 it's not worth it. In this case, it's two processors, I dunno what I would consider. But if each core has a decent speed, I might be willing up bump it up to $400, but definitly no more than that.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    RWB wrote:
    When are these due out BTW? I think they are supposed to work in current mothers as well right? If you have the right socket?
    same socket new bios.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited March 2005
    current mobos with only a new bios will support a dual-core processor? that's damn cool, though i guess there is no direct connection between the second core and anything on the motherboard, everything will just go through the hypertransport link in the first core. the same principle that has dashed my dreams of dual a64's. dual-core will be better and easier, though, so i'm just going to do that i guess.
    edited March 2005
    And microsoft is being nice, staying that their OS prices will still relate to physical, instead of logical CPUs. :)
    edited March 2005
    oh, how kind of them

it must be against the law then, but when has that stopped them
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    And microsoft is being nice, staying that their OS prices will still relate to physical, instead of logical CPUs. :)

Thats because XP, 2000 pro and 2000 server all come 1-2 cpu licensed with retail and oem copies, if you want more you have to buy it, 2003 packaging does not mention number of cpu's it will support but im sure its 5 or under.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2005
    Love it and I want one :) But I'm sure they will be around 1k when they first coem out :(
    edited March 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    Thats because XP, 2000 pro and 2000 server all come 1-2 cpu licensed with retail and oem copies, if you want more you have to buy it, 2003 packaging does not mention number of cpu's it will support but im sure its 5 or under.

I know why they're doing it. I'm stating that it's a nice change of pace for Microsoft not changing their licensing agreements.