How do I start

SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
edited March 2005 in Folding@Home
Ok guys,
apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

I would love to help out here, I have an internet cafe, I have a total of 23 computers that could be used for this.

so these are my questions!

What do I do?
How do i set them all up?
Can it be done from the server (2003) or does it have to be installed on each PC?
how do i monitor what is being done?
Could my customers theoretically? sabotage, delete or just bugger up the project?
what security is in place to prevent my PCs being hijacked?

If anyone can think of anything elkse I need to be aware of or careful about, please let me know.

I look forward to getting detailed instructions on what to do to join your team!!

regards

Siggy!

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited March 2005
    Hi!

I would answer some of your questions but prof, csimon and others will be able to help set you up properly.

I just want to say WELCOME to Team #93 :thumbsup:

:smokin:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2005
    Yes you have to install it on each individual computer.

EM3 is a good program to monitor them all across the network (em-dc.com). There are other programs as well that can monitor FAH.

I would suggest downloading the console version, and upon setup choose to run as a service. Once its setup, reboot and it will as a service, IE in the background. No one will know its running unless they look at the task manager.

Do they have to log in at all? If they have a user account you could prolly set it so they dont have rights to end the 2 processes that FAH uses.

Another Australin, there are several others on the team that are form Australia.:)

If you have any more questions, please ask.:)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Oh man, once siggy gets started, the australian contingent is gonna be whooping some ass :eek3: :ausflag: :thumbsup:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    At least it is samll and fast to install.
    CSimon has it running on a lot of machines, he knows this drill.

Welcome to the fold.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    basically you just make a folder where you want the program and files to reside.
    Then download the FAH502-Console into that folder.
    Double-click the file from explorer and you will get the configuration screen.
    I'll include a pic of the config process screen and if you have any questions just ask and we should be able to help quickly! :fold:

Keep in mind that since my console is already configured the wording of the questions are different ...so just copying the answers I have will get poor results.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    A couple things to remember:

Our team # is 93

Make sure the username is the same on all of the computers. With a couple dozen of them running you will be making quite a stir in the team standings. :D

:thumbsup::fold:
    edited March 2005
    If you have a dual processor or hyperthreading then we can add another instance to take care of that ...let me know if this applies.
  • edited March 2005
    Another Australian with 23 computers? wow.....
    Why shouldn't I expect anything less at this point? Welcome :D
    Here comes another runaway Australian beer truck :p
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited March 2005
    Ok thanks for all the encouragement!,

I will downloasd the program onto the server first and then roll out to the other machines.
    If I get stuck i will holler!

1st question is

I will put it on under administrator, (all pcs except server running XP), is this enough to prevent anyone having access or is there any other settings I need to make to keep it away from the little buggers. They all log into a user account (limited permissions) to use the PC.

2nd question:

I went to fire deamon site to download the service tool, and it is no longer available, they have finalised the product and is no longer free. Has anyone know what else i can use
    !

OK here goes!

Siggy
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    if you roll it out like you're planning on doing i'm fairly sure you're going to have to set it up individually on ever machine, at least to get the service portion working. then again, I could be wrong
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2005
    MOST IMPORTANT! Make sure you set the username to Dexter. Then, instead of starting at the bottom of the pack, you have the advantage of starting much higher on the team, a bit of a "head start", as it were. This will help you zoom through the ranks of our team much more quickly.....

:D

Ok, sorry, had to try....

Welcome to Team 93! Thanks for folding with us, and bringing such a huge number of systems to our Team!

To answer your last question, when you install it, it will give you the option to install as a service. Do this, and it will run in the background no matter what account is logged in, or even when the system is just at the Welcome screen. It will be invisible to your customers.

Dexter...
    edited March 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    Ok thanks for all the encouragement!,

I will downloasd the program onto the server first and then roll out to the other machines.
    If I get stuck i will holler!

1st question is

I will put it on under administrator, (all pcs except server running XP), is this enough to prevent anyone having access or is there any other settings I need to make to keep it away from the little buggers. They all log into a user account (limited permissions) to use the PC.

2nd question:

I went to fire deamon site to download the service tool, and it is no longer available, they have finalised the product and is no longer free. Has anyone know what else i can use
    !

OK here goes!

Siggy

#1: I've had 20 student systems installed as a service for a few years now and not once have they tampered with it ...and the client does run while you're not even logged in.
    #2: Don't use a 3rd party service installer w/ the 502 Console. 502 will install itself as a service during configuration. Check out that pic I posted and you'll see it as the 3rd question.

edit:\ sorry dexter I didn't read your entire post so I was unaware that you had already answered #2 :thumbsup:
    edited March 2005
    If they cannot mess with other services then they wont be able to mess with FAH.

And like csimon said, dont use Firedaemon. The console client has its own service installer built in. Use that.
    edited March 2005
    well I have started!!

I am using the 502 Console and am setting them up as a Service on each PC. Now I am just setting them up with username set to Dexter and team 93 as per instructions!

When will I be able to see what I am contributing? (this is exciting), want to get into the top 500 ASAP!

Now I am assuming that setting up as above on each PC will not conflict, I dont need to set any settings to show that I am using a number of PCs?

Thanks

Siggy

Oh! By the way, Dexter, only joking, set them up with my username! ;D
    edited March 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    When will I be able to see what I am contributing? (this is exciting), want to get into the top 500 ASAP!

Now I am assuming that setting up as above on each PC will not conflict, I dont need to set any settings to show that I am using a number of PCs?
    As soon as you have completed a single wu and it's been sent back to stanford it will generally take about 20 minutes from there.
    You don't need to set the number of pc's at all ...only if you run the client more than once on the same machine ...which you only need to do if you have more than one processor or hyperthreading in order to get 100% usage for F@H.

check your taskmanager and see how much cpu usage the core is using ...that will insure it is working.
    edited March 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    well I have started!!

I am using the 502 Console and am setting them up as a Service on each PC. Now I am just setting them up with username set to Dexter and team 93 as per instructions!

oh man! You totally had me going for a second! ;D
    edited March 2005
    Looks like there's already a "siggy" out there. You may want to fold as something else, or perhaps add a "team" tag on there - like SM Siggy or Siggy93, etc.

Oh, and THANK YOU for joining the BEST TEAM out there. We may be small but we sure have a lot of spirit :ausflag: :thumbsup:
    edited March 2005
    csimon,
    first of all WOW..................you have awesome stats!!!

secondly

thanksfor helping ! and that goes to everyone that has answered, I think they are now set up and working, we shall see over the next few days!

Thanks again guys
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited March 2005
    Now you have all the clients set up you can monitor them from your own PC and make sure they have not hit a hump

I use Electron Microscope

The "trick" I use so as not to share the Folding folder on each computer is I use the complete path for each client

eg: \\machinename\c$\foldingfolder

This makes it invisible to anyone browsing the network to see a pile of strange shares (plus I don;t have to set up a share on each machine)

Welcome to the Aussie contingent of the team
    with 23 machines you'll be making all these lads cry in your dust

cheers

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2005
    G'day Siggy. Welcome to team 93.

Sounds like you will be in for a fun ride. The only problem with folding is "It's contagious". Sally, the Handbrake and i started off with just a couple of computers and then the "contagious" part hit, lol.

My wife folds under the name of "Jonshandbrake". 14 desktops and 2 notebooks all folding for Short-Media. Most of them are Intel's with Hyper-Threading, running 2 instances each, doing their bit for Humanity.

Once you start getting a few finished Work Units, go here. Put your "folding name" in the top, click personalise and you will see how you are doing vs everyone else over 7 days. This is another link to check out along with the others posted previously.

http://www.foldingatwork.com/team.jsp?teamID=93

When you go to this link posted previously, find your "folding name", click on it and you will see "certificate". One for points and one for Work Units. Check them out. All part of the fun.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=93

Jon & Sally(the Handbrake)

:ausflag: :ausflag: :ausflag: Perth Western Australia :ausflag: :ausflag: :ausflag:
    edited March 2005
    You can have the same username as someone else and be on different teams.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Siggy, One more thing.
    Generate a sig for your posts that lists your stats.
    Then we can all share in your progress.

At least I won't have to worry about you for a few months.
    edited March 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    csimon,
    first of all WOW..................you have awesome stats!!!
    Heck give it time I fold with about the same amount of procs that you do. :fold:
    edited March 2005
    Siggy, you'd be AMAZED at how quickly you'll be in the million-point club with that kind of folding power.

{old man voice}

Why, I remember when kingfish was knee-high to a cricket! I remember when some young whippersnapper named DragonV8 still couldn't tell his elbow from his you-know-what! Why I remember.....

;D
    edited March 2005
    Brian, you sound kinda....old...;D
    edited March 2005
    Yeah yeah, I know, I know... :shakehead
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited March 2005
    That was scary. I had an old man's voice in my head while I was read that :wtf:;D
    edited March 2005
    so back to the topic ...what's the status on your folders siggy?
    Or am I missing something here? I can't tell if you've turned in points or not yet.
    Unless you're folding all 600 point monster wu's you should have at least turned in something by now.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2005
    Here ya go Chris. (and Siggy)

One moment ..............Nothing. :(

Next moment this. :D