Nintendo Begins Talk Of Its Next Gen Console

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Nintendo dropped the first hints about its next generation video game console Thursday, joining the growing battle for pre-emptive consumer awareness.
President Satoru Iwata, in a keynote speech at the Game Developer's Conference, said the new machine, currently code-named Revolution, will be backwards compatible. That is, it will be able to play all existing GameCube games, as well as ones specifically designed for the new system. Revolution will also be wi-fi enabled, allowing owners to play others around the country for free.

"The next generation is a place where the best idea, not the biggest budget will win," Iwata said.

Powered by an IBM processor and featuring a graphics chip designed by ATI, the Revolution is not expected to hit U.S. stores until middle of 2006, or later.
Source: CNN

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    OMG YES - Backwards compatibility is something nintendo has SORELY lacked (except for in the handheld arena). This is great news!

So basically I see a trend: IBM is dominating the next generation of consoles :eek3:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    So basically I see a trend: IBM is dominating the next generation of consoles :eek3:
    Yeah, that seems true. They ditched their PC division and seem to have a rather successful business strategy for the future.

Backwards compatability is also clutch - AS IS A MARIO 128 TITLE! WHERE THE HELL HAS IT BEEN FOR GAMECUBE?? I've specifically been waiting to buy the console until I see it :mad:
    edited March 2005
    Look, if you're looking for something "just like Mario 64" then Super Mario Sunshine is your thing. It follows the same awesome style - a bunch of totally different "worlds" linked by a central "world" (a tropical island instead of a castle), with multiple objectives (and visits) for each world, different areas in each world on different visits, and lots of secrets and extra bonus challenge levels.

It's a TON of fun. I think I liked it more than Mario 64.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It doesn't have to be just like Mario 64, just like Mario 64 wasn't Mario World which wasn't Mario Bros.

I heard Mario Sunshine wasn't very good, and it looked awful cheesy... I want to smack some baddies around, not hose down pollution :-/
    edited March 2005
    oh there's plenty of that. The water cannon is an awesome idea. Next time you're over, I'll school you in Mario Sunshine and then you will go out and buy a gamecube.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Luigi's mansion is hte best game ever! I wish they had that on a handheld :(
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I remember playing through both Luigi's mansion and Mario Sunshine. Both were great games, I would regret selling them other than I was straped for cash at the time. Eh, what are you gonna do?

I love nintendo, they have some sort of undescribable video game soul that Sony and Microsoft lack. I can't describe it better than that, nor I am saying Nintendo is better. I know thats just an opinion I have, and opinions are nothing =P.

Anyways, I can't wait for this. The wifi was a hell of a good idea.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I have a DS and the only game I have at the moment is Mario 64 DS, it sucks.

However, I have been wanting a GC for a while now becuase of other titles I have wanted to play so badly but couldn't becuase it's only on GC. Maybe I'll just wait for this next console and buy it instead. I should have a job by then.

My cousin/roomate has a few great consoles and games, including the GC with a couple games I've wanted to play. Of course I have yet to even touch any of them. :mean:
  • Ben
    edited March 2005
    Pikmin and papermario, reasons to own a gamecube alone.
    edited March 2005
    Yeah a lot of people don't "get" Paper Mario, but it really is a great game. I haven't played the GC version yet, but I'm sure it's more of the same of the N64 version, so it must be good.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2005
    Resident Evil 4 is pretty fun. Mercenaries mode is sweet.