Question bout P2P

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok, im sure that im gonna catch some heat from thrax and everyone else for this one, but i have edonkey on my computer and spyware threats aside what are the actuall chances of the RIAA and the likes of them actualy catching me?

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited March 2005
    With eMule and eDonkey... The threat is nil with the built in IP filters that these P2P apps have.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    that's totally wrong, danball.

There is no such thing as anonymity on the internet. The chances of you getting "caught" are 100% if they decide to prosecute you.

The chances of them deciding to prosecute you are probably very low. Big ocean and all that.

It's your gamble. We don't condone or discuss methods or means of pirating software on this site. If you participate in software, music, movie piracy, etc, you are committing a crime and you can be prosecuted for it.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Actually, the only part that is a crime is the sharing (letting other people download your stolen stuff) when you download from someone else, it is they who can be prosecuted, not you. If you are worried about getting in trouble, then don't do illegal stuff.

Don't share copyrighted files.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Out of all the p2p programs, ED2k is the least prosecuted with zero advertised suits.

Good luck. ;)
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    that's totally wrong, danball.

There is no such thing as anonymity on the internet. The chances of you getting "caught" are 100% if they decide to prosecute you.

The chances of them deciding to prosecute you are probably very low. Big ocean and all that.

It's your gamble. We don't condone or discuss methods or means of pirating software on this site. If you participate in software, music, movie piracy, etc, you are committing a crime and you can be prosecuted for it.

That's key, that you aren't anonymous at all. A lot of these p2p apps have these "IP filters" that block by domain or specific IP ranges which are known to be used by RIAA or whomever to scan p2p networks, but, they can just as easily get new IP blocks or sub out the jobs to smaller companies, those IP filters are pretty worthless really.

That said, a good way to not have to worry about it is switch to MSN Music or iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, etc, etc. Getting music is a service that has to paid for, although I'm not sure the lawsuits against people are the greatest way to go about it, they definitly made me think about the possible consequences, that and the declining quality of music on p2p networks made me switch to a real music service (MSN Music).

Not trying to lecture, just saying, it's a risk. If you want free music then you run the risk of getting caught, so don't think any of these p2p programs can shield you from it.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2005
    I read somewhere that the afore mentioned services only offer music with a max bitrate of 128? Is that true?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited March 2005
    No, that isn't true at all.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    I read somewhere that the afore mentioned services only offer music with a max bitrate of 128? Is that true?

MSN Music is encoded in 160kbps WMA format, Apple had this on their site for info about the iTunes bitrate
    Apple wrote:
    Purchased songs are encoded using MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format, a high-quality format that rivals CD quality.
    Songs purchased and downloaded from the Music Store are AAC Protected files and have a bitrate of 128 kilobits per second (kbit/s).

The purchased song should sound as good as or better than a 160 kbit/s MP3 file. Because the bit rate is lower, though, the AAC file takes less disk space than the MP3 file.

I think AAC is a higher quality format than MP3, so, altho it's 128k, as they say as well, it would sound much better than a comparable bitrate mp3 file.

The 160k WMA files are very good sounding and I would say you couldn't find a difference between it and a CD recording. (some of the elitist 'audiophiles' who swear they can till difference of higher quality bitrate mp3s may say differently, but they are ridiculous anyway). As for itunes, I'm not sure because I don't have personal experience with it, but I would assume the situation is the same, prime might have some info to offer about that, I think he uses itunes.

I believe Rhapsody and Napster both utilize the same encoding technologies/DRM systems as MSN Music (ie: WMA w/DRM) so the quality is most likely comparable. Napster may be different being as how it's subscription based and not a "download" music store, but, I'm pretty sure they all use WMA because they're listed as Windows Media compatible services.

Let's also take into account that all of these music services offer downloads encoded with high precision and good original copies and not the 10 yr old ripping it off a friends burned CD that you'll find on some of the p2p networks, and that's really a big thing of it as well.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I can vouch for AAC, they do sound great. But I haven't bought one in a while, mostly due to the fact I couldn't burn a CD from the music I downloaded, they had some sort of protection. But recently I have been able to so maybe they changed the rules becuase they realized people like me were mis informed about what I was downloading.

Buds of mine use Napster and like it alot, I used iTunes and it's ok. But I haven't had any new songs added to my playlist in a long time becuase of all the rcap that's come out lately. But that's another thread. :D
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited March 2005
    RIAA? Almost none. MPAA? Pretty high - or at least getting caught (I did). Whether either of these will actually follow through is almost irrelevant... so uncommon that it almost doesn't count.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Ive used napster before and i do say that it souds good and the downoads are almost instantaneous with my cable but at a dollar a whop and all the songs that i download, listen to for a couple of months and forget about, that just seems illogical, and with my income, $30 a month, until i get a job in the summer (yes I live at home, im only 16) a subscription service is also a bad idea as seein that i would have no spending money, I had to save up for 6 months to get my computer, which is kinda sad, it sucks to be the poor boy....all the rich kids waste their money on jeans...id waste it on computers and paintball. so the pay per download option and subscription is bad, i was just wondering what te chances were of them catching me..i didnt think that it was very good, but I've always seemed to have either absolutely no good luck or a lot bad luck