Softmod a Sony DW-U10A to a DRU500A

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Hardware
And get improved performance, more media compatibility, and better software support.

Yes, the DVD burner that you guys bought for us has already undergone modification, in true short-media fashion.

I have taken the OEM Sony DW-U10-A and used the information found here at firmware-flash forums to softmod it to a retail DRU500A drive, which I then updated to the latest 2.0f firmware.

Drive works great and best of all, I can burn at 4X with a variety of media.

Comments

• Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited August 2003
    lovely ;)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    I did that with mine a couple of weeks back, works like a charm. Good forums those aswell.:)
  • edited January 2011
    Spinner wrote:
    I did that with mine a couple of weeks back, works like a charm. Good forums those aswell.:)

Hi guys,

I know it is many years later but anyone know how i can do the same with my DW-U10A

Thanks Prab
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2011
    Prab wrote:
    Hi guys,

I know it is many years later but anyone know how i can do the same with my DW-U10A

Thanks Prab
    Hi mate, I've done a quick search and because of the amount of time which has passed, the file(s) required don't seem to be readily available anymore.

Below is a link that provides more info, just in case you want to scour the web a little deeper.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=10776&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=50

You probably won't believe this, but just two days ago I deleted my old Bios and Firmware archive folder, which no doubt contained copies of the very firmware files you want. :(

That being said, it is a very old drive, it might simply be worth forking out $25 and just get a new one. If you are dead set on that drive though, I think I might still have my converted one. If you're a UK'er, I'll happily post it to you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help though.

Spinner
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Spinner!?

WB :cheers:
  • edited January 2011
    Wow - that is really kind of you Spinner. Not really sure what to do. I have the DW-U10A in an iMAC 17" which works fine except for the named internal superdrive which came with it. It has for last 3 or 4 years (sicne upgrading to Tiger) been temperamental with recognising cd/dvd's. Now hardly at all. I understand its difficult to change the superdrive yourself in the round based Imac's. Is there an external bootable drive you reccomend? Or better to take it to Apple and get it replaced.

Am in the UK (West London) but sounds like a new drive might be best option unless easy to replace. Will look into it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.

Prab

Spinner wrote:
    Hi mate, I've done a quick search and because of the amount of time which has passed, the file(s) required don't seem to be readily available anymore.

Below is a link that provides more info, just in case you want to scour the web a little deeper.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=10776&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=50

You probably won't believe this, but just two days ago I deleted my old Bios and Firmware archive folder, which no doubt contained copies of the very firmware files you want. :(

That being said, it is a very old drive, it might simply be worth forking out $25 and just get a new one. If you are dead set on that drive though, I think I might still have my converted one. If you're a UK'er, I'll happily post it to you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help though.

Spinner
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    whoa!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Dude, it's Spinner! :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Spinner :wtf: !! We were just talking about you the other day, in the "What ever happened to Spinner" sense!

:D