ok REPOST.... boot from USB linux HDD

Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok Folks.. I'm at a loss here..

I have a 60gig maxtor Hard drive in a External usb case.
I need to be able to boot to this hard drive. it is running linux (LinSpire).
I have just about every linux made so If I have to change to a different one that is fine..

System is
P4 3ghz. Intel Board. 1 gig mem, 2 120gig maxtors on raid striped running windows XP pro "NO SP2"

the Motherboard itself supports USB boot and it boots from a pen drive dos fine.
how can I get it to boot to the Linux HDD.
anyhelp

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    apparently most distros do not support it. Or the newest editions are maybe just adding support is a better way of looking at it.

go to www.linuxformat.com and see if you can read the online letters and back editions. On page 15 of their magazine I have in my hand (bought in late december/early january...) there is a letter from a reader much longer then I care to retype for you about what he did to get Mandrake 10.1 CE to usb boot. I'll scan it for ya later but suffice to say the guy that wrote the letter had tried this before with multiple distro's and this was the first time he had succeeded.

He had to do stuff regarding custom partitoning and jacking with where the bootloader pointed. If you have mandrake 10.1 ce I'll summarize the changes he made etc..

Tex
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I use fedora core 3...so I searched their forums (www.fedoraforum.org)...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/post-145456.html

tells you how to do in in fedora. I don't know otherwise.