Need Help! Comp freezes whenever any key is touched!

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hey everybody, I just got a new computer about 6 months ago. Its 2.8ghz pentium 4 with hyperthreading, 500 mb ram etc etc. Just recently when I went to turn on my comp it said "no keyboard attached" when I was booting up, but then it started okay. Whenever I touch any key on the keyboard, it doesnt matter which one, the comp freezes up (or it might just be the mouse that freezes because when I press the power off button, the comp goes through the shutting down process like normal) I find this to be very wierd....I went to my control panel to check if the keyboard was there, but there was no software listed for my keyboard. I tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it in again but that just froze the comp/mouse again. I'm not sure what this coudl be, but i'm thinking its got to be a virus of sorts. I think when I press any key on the keyboard, it removes the mouse like the keyboard was removed....and thats why it appears to be frozen but in actuality its not, its just my mouse and keyboard aren't responding so I can't do anything! It still shuts down okay when I press the power button (it goes through the processs, it doesn't just shut down) so I don't think the comp freezes. I just seems liek something is giving my comp the message that there is no keyboard. Has anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!!! thanks alot!

Comments

• edited March 2005
    Have you tried running it in safe mode? Does the PC shut down when you hit a key in safe mode?
  • edited March 2005
    I haven't tried that...Do you think it's a virus or something? because I've tried another keyboard but that didn't work either.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    ive had keyboards that were dead cause this, but usually thats not the issue. things i would try - booting up in safe mode (press F8 when the computer is booting up, pick safe mode) and see if it does it in safe mode. if it doesn't, you have either a virus or some nasty nasty spyware. if it still does, then you have some bad hardware somewhere, and i would probably advise running memtest86+ to see if your memory checks out

EDIT: actually, is this a ps2 keyboard or a usb keyboard? the port you have it plugged into could be bad. with a ps2 keyboard the solution would be as simple as going out and buying a usb keyboard...
  • edited March 2005
    My keyboard is ps2, not USB. I could try getting a USB adapter for my keyboard I guess, or trying a keyboard that plugs in through a USB. But I don't want to go out and buy a keyboard unless im sure the problem can't be fixed. Even if I did get a new keyboard the Virus/spyware or whatever it is, is still on my comp, and I want it gone. I just wish I knew if it was a virus, or if it was just bad hardware, or something else! When I get home tonight I will try running the comp in safe mode.....and then try the memtest thing you suggested...do you just download memtest? Also, is there anyway to find out if there is something wrong with my Keyboard connection port?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited March 2005
    Sounds like a driver issue to me. Have you tried system restore to your last good working setup? I had the same problem after I installed new drivers for my trackman marble, must have been corrupt drivers for me. Did a system restore to a few days earlyer and it worked fine. I really, really do not think you have a virus............another tip..try your keyboard on another computer.
  • edited March 2005
    I did a system restore to about a week before it started screwing up, but the problem didn't go away...
  • alexdcdalexdcd The United Kingdom
    edited December 2005
    Sounds hard to get past the driver/software issue without having to reboot all the time. I suggest using a spare sytem or a friends system with a workins O/S and extracting your most important files and save them elsewhere. You will need to set the drive as secondary.
    After you have got your files in a safe place, do a fresh OS instal
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Try your keyboard on a friend's PC. If it still does it, it's the keyboard.
    Try his keyboard in the PS/2 port on your PC. If it still does it, it's the port or the OS.

If it's the port or the OS, back up your files and freshly install Windows. If it still does it, congratulations, you have a shiny new copy of Windows installed and you've directly assessed that it's the PS/2 port. Snag a $20 USB keyboard and carry on.