where is the debate forum???

2»

Comments

• T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    I'd like to see the debate forum reborn sometime in the future as well.

Back at icrontic, it was my favorite forum. I'm not saying I didn't like the technical forums (and folding and gaming) - especially since my brand new KT7-RAID is what originally brought me to icrontic nearly 3 years ago.

However, since for a while I didn't have that many hardware problems or questions - mainly due to the fact that in the past year I haven't had the opportunity to mess with it much (and as such I haven't been in any position to help people out either) - the debate and gaming forums were where I spent most of my time (true, debate had stagnated for 2-3 weeks before "the end").

I appreciate everything you all are doing to give us a new home, especially since I'm well aware of the insane amount of work that goes into running a much smaller site, and therefore I can barely fathom what this would entail. Nonetheless, beyond being a news and hardware help site, the old icrontic was a community, and any community will debate about whatever comes to mind.

I'm in no way demanding a debate forum by tomorrow, I'm simply making a request that you remain open to the possibility of reinstating one in the future (as you seem to be).

• duncanduncan Oregon Coast
    edited June 2003
    What's there to debate??????????
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    If anyone is really itching for an argument, you could go here:

http://www.duke.edu/~pms5/humor/argument.html

Or if that doesn't do it for you, I could introduce you to my ex-wife!:D

Prof
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited June 2003
    Let me state for the record that Thrax is an excellent debater. He can present a very good rebuttle to many issues.

The debate forum was not included in these forums due to its highly volatile nature. Over the time at Icrontic I saw many members who left in disgust after having some clashes. While those that remained argued "if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" it nevertheless caused some members to leave.

I have to agree that a debate forum can be ignored. I did. It was a self contained room that members could beat each other silly with. But like a car accident...others could not.

Like the profanity filter it is an issue that, in a utopian society, we would not have the use for.

Hardware issues can be debated in their appropriate forums. IE: Cheiftec vs. OEM...which is better? That is what the forums are for.

To restrict a debate forum to not discuss religon, politics, sex or drugs....pretty well leaves no debate forum doesn't it? Those issues are/can be the most volatile. It is this volatility that I wanted to avoid. Some members can debate quite well without profanity or being abusive. Thrax is such an example. But a lot of others don't react well or can keep a persepective on the fact that it is the art of debate rather than open abuse on another member.

It's a catch-22.

While some may agree that politics should stay out...most will not. The same for other topics...so how do you moderate and restrict the topics? If I were to set the topic rules most would not agree with me. Including those who want a debate forum.

You can now see the problem taking shape.

Now...consider this issue closed for the moment. We have not disregarded your requests or opinions. That is furthest from the truth. While it may be easy to click a button and add a new forum...the issues that have to be addressed with that new forum take time to plan-consider to hopefully satisfy the entire membership.

Right now...I don't have that solution or plan in mind. But this matter isn't dead...it's just shelved for the moment while we attend to more pressing matters. It will be discussed seriously in the future (give us some time please). I am not promising either way...I am promising that we'll see if there is a solution.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    What about a front-end page with disclaimers where people have to click "I agree" or "I do not agree"?

Just kidding ;)