Ip Address Conflict w/ crossover cable

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi everyone,

Im fairly new to this whole networking buisness, so please be kind.

Me and my housemate have a comp each. Mine being a fairly new desktop with windows XP and hers being a slightly older laptop with windows 98. Currently my computer is plugged into a dial up network.

The other day we bought a Crossover cable to hook up and network our computers, I have ran the wizard which made a me a disk to run on her computer, the only problem is we keep getting the error message of 'IP Address conflict' and we have no idea what to do.

If anyone could offer some advice that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2005
    howdee,

first off are you doing this just to share some files, or share the internet?

the easiesy way to actually tell if theres a conflict error is to check the IP's on both machines, on you winXP machine go to START->RUN->CMD-> adn type IPCONFIG
    that will show you your computers IPaddress, subnet mask, and default gateway, your only concerned about the IP

the Win98 machine is a tad different, you click START->RUN->winipcfg and it displays a little box that gives you the same information when you slecet the correct network adapter from the list, dont be surprised if you see a PPP connection in that list ( thats a modem )

if both IP's are the same one of them must change, the easiest way is to restart one of the machines, preferably the XP machine and see if the IP's still remain the same, if they do they next step is to assign whats called a Static IP, meaning you entered it yourself.

to do this on eaither machine you muct do it in Network neighborhood (98) or My Network Places (XP) ( you may also have to click the View Network Connections button ), right click the connection ( the network card ) and choose properties, then you wnat to choose TCP/IP from thats list and choose properties, and assign the computer an IP Address in the same range, by that i mean if both machines are set to 192.169.1.100, change one IP to 192.168.1.101 or somthing like that, the subnetmask shhould enter itself in when you choose the IP

let me know if there is anything else
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited March 2005
    I have a similar, but different question. it does involve a crossover cable. ( a tricky electronic device)
    The main unit is on a wireless ( Dlink 108Mb DWL 530) and has wired lan on MB. (Abit NF7-s)
    I have revived an Athalon Tbird just to fold. so minor internet access is the desiree effect.
    crossover connection has been made between T bird Linksys 10/100 card and main unit Abit board
    when I enable the wired connection , the wireless fails to transfer data.
    (can't find google/email fails, mozilla, outlook, IE)
    disable the wired connection, the wireless seems happy
    both on XP with SP2
    I'll check IP addresses shortly
    the network whizzard doesn't seem to have the right questions.
    no rush the main unit is folding fine @ 2.5Ghz