Thermaltake Purepower PSU

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Anyone seen any serious reviews of these?

Junk or worth the bucks etc...

Tex

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Haven't seen any reviews of them, but I can tell you I'll never buy another Thermaltake PS. Bought 3 TT PS's- 1- 480W & 2- 420W units and 2 out of 3 had problems. Didn't realize pins were loose and falling out of brand new unit, and it fried MB,Ram,& CPU! Then switching parts around to find out what was good and what was bad, I lost a 2nd MB.....luckily the 2nd one was an old MB I had setting around. So, If you buy TT..make sure you check it out 100% before putting it in your machine.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    excellant thing to know. I had probs a few years back with some big expensive Enermax psu's and crappy pins/molex wire connections. I now have a tool to take the molex's apart and recrimp them and even then (because I am paranoid now) I actually mix up some epoxy or plastic welder and epoxy the wires into the back of the molex's on all my own PSU's as I take them apart and assemble and disassemble them constantly. Makes them MUCH sturdier and resistant to being phucked up.

Probably not a prob for most users that plug in a hard drive once and never touch it but for me it has paid big dividends. I yank the darn things out constantly and its a big time saver for folks like me.

Tex
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I'm sortof in the same situation. I am always changing out and rebuilding my pc's. Think I will get the pin tool. I've got a power tester for all the plugs and have already made my money back on that. I've got pins, desoldering iron & solder iron. lots of extra plugs and such. I just couldn't believe those PS's were so bad, but now I don't take anything for granted. Test It All! Even if it's brand spankin new.
    edited March 2005
    They had so many guys in a short period of time fry big dual cpu MB's out at 2cpu.com a couple years ago with those huge antec truepower brand new PSU's that I swore I would never buy another of those either. Sometimes I think its just a phase they go through with either bad quality control or bad componets.

I actually got one of those huge enermax's a couple years back that had one molex wired wrong. Bad bad bad thing to let come out of the factory. I noticed because I had four big ide drives in raid-0 stacked and I was zip tieing the cables up and noticed the colors were differant.

Once you get the molexs tested try my trick out and epoxy the back ends up so you can't pull the wires back out of the back end. Doesnt take much and you can use clear epoxy but I swear on my own gear I never live without it.

Tex
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    That's a very good idea. I will definitely do that on my systems. Thnx for the tip.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I have two 420s, and have had zero problems.

Here's 10 mins of a log from my main system:
    dvd-rom
    dvd+/-rw
    160gb 7200 rpm drive
    athlon xp @ 2200 (1.9 vcore)
    9600xt
    tv tuner/capture card
    tex.JPG 17.6K
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2005
    ive gotten:

1 420 for my boss
    1 480 for my friend
    1 680 for my other boss

All working perfect.
    edited March 2005
    I was watching one on eBay but...

I went to directron to check on something else and while I was there I went to the power supplies to just take a peek.

OPPainter (from the OC section at the old Icrontic) had given a GLOWING review of a PSU from Super-Flower for xtremesystems a while back. It has adjustable rails for each voltage line etc..

They had $67 520w "silent" triple fan models on sale right now for 33 bucks. 8 bucks to ship. Basicaly half price and another $1.50 to ship an extra one.

So I bought two of them for like 75 bucks or something. I figure for around $37 a pop including shipping I didnt do bad.

And they are colored and look cool also !

Here is the link in case anyone else wants one.

tex

http://www.directron.com/colortt520.html
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2005
    Hey Tex,

let us know how the superflower psu's end up performing... i was thinking about buying this one here...

http://www.directron.com/tt550k14.html

but i haven't seen any reviews or really heard much about them. thanks! :)
    edited March 2005
    Go to xtremesystems and look for a review from OPpainter. One of the better and well known OC guys in the world I would venture.

He raved about the two he tested and yours is WAYYYYYYYY better then the one I bought. More on line with the top one he tested and it had adjustable pots on each voltage rail to fine tune voltages. For the price it was awesome.

I just needed a couple sorta cheap PSU's... one for a customer and one my test bench as I sold my test bench PSU to a friend recently and didnt have anything to test boxs with, unless I tore one out of my own systems.

tex
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    ryko wrote:
    Hey Tex,

let us know how the superflower psu's end up performing... i was thinking about buying this one here...

http://www.directron.com/tt550k14.html

but i haven't seen any reviews or really heard much about them. thanks! :)
    ryko
    Tex is completely 100% correct! The SuperFlower TT-550K14 Modular you linked to was one of the final contenders in my recent search for a new PSU. I was just about to order it and changed my mind at the last second (literally!) for the Antec TRUE550 EPS12V. The only reason I changed my mind was that the one I got has more on the 12V rail. But I am still not 100% sure I made the right choice!!! :scratch: That SuperFlower has a lot going for it including great reviews and looks super. I am due some cash soon and will likely put together a similar system to what I now have in my sig and will get that PSU to compare. :cool:

Too bad I can't afford a PSU with 50 on 3.3V/ 50 on 5V/ (3) 12V rails of 16 each. :D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited April 2005
    i have the W0014. I LOVE IT!!

http://thermaltake.com/purepower/W001314.htm
  • edited April 2005
    Tex, I have a purepower 420 presently running my mobile clawhammer/DFI system I built last month and it's been performing flawlessly. I presently have it overclocked to 2385 MHz and it's not maxed out by any means yet and the psu is hanging in there tough.