edited April 2005 in Hardware
I put this together yesterday.

dual Opteron 248's
Tyan K8W S2875
2 GB Corsair ddr400 ECC
2 Maxtor SATA 60GB RAID 1
2 Maxtor SATA 250GB RAID 1
ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb AGP

I seem to be having problems with the graphics card, the only driver that works is about a year old (as indicated by Tyan website), which is ok i guess. It took forever to figure that out. I thought i was in the clear, and then while internet explorer was open, the graphics card crashed. I know its a good card because i've been using it in other computers. So i'm wondering if i'd be better off with an NVidia card for this motherboard. Any problems with yours? I am using this system for Photoshop editing, and 3d gaming...Doom3, FarCry, Half-Life 2, etc.

thanks

thanks

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited March 2005
    You've got email!
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    flintstone is the man to talk to for sure!
  • edited April 2005
    Ive been having a pretty similar problem, except mine hangs while i launch programs that require heavy rendering. More particularly, games.
    The pc is very stable while just diong normal pc-ing.
    but it hangs or restarts on games.
    Any suggestions?
    i tried turning down hyper transport, tried changing agp settings. tried swapping the card. Same issue.
    edited April 2005
    All I can say on this is make sure you have the most up to date bios for your board and video card. Tyan seems to make some pretty hefty changes to its bioses along the line and they are quite responsive to the users comments about their products. You've got a Tiger and as such it's very different than mine, but the various bios revisions for my board have allowed, for example, full speed hyper transport links, better ATI video card compatability, better memory speed recognition and compatability and on and on. It's worth a look.
  • edited April 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    All I can say on this is make sure you have the most up to date bios for your board and video card. Tyan seems to make some pretty hefty changes to its bioses along the line and they are quite responsive to the users comments about their products. You've got a Tiger and as such it's very different than mine, but the various bios revisions for my board have allowed, for example, full speed hyper transport links, better ATI video card compatability, better memory speed recognition and compatability and on and on. It's worth a look.

I do have the most updated bios, ive even tried swapping out 9800 pro's, and changing Os'es. It puzzles me.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited April 2005
    It seems that Tyan Opteron mobos have problems with ATI Video cards. My advice is to trade it in for an equivalent Nvidia card
    edited April 2005
    Yea, I was going to send you over to AMD processor support forums where the guys have had fits with ATI cards and the consensus is to go with nVidia for ease of use, but you can get the ATI cards to work with some work arounds. Just make sure all of the chipset drivers are up to date before you start doing bios tweaks to get it working. Most of the stuff is for the S2885, but you can try it. I'm sure you'll be better off than you are now. Here's the link to the forums:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=idx

Just go to the Opteron troubleshooting section and you should find a lot of helpful suggestions.