Installing Flash Player Plugin in Mozilla from CD

kirkckirkc currently working in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Hello,

I'm working on a project to deliver on CD, educational courseware developed in Flash for websites. The target users are in the rural areas and most likely won't have internet access or reliable access. This is why the courseware has to be delivered on CD.

The courseware is to be accessed from 3 platforms: Win, Mac and Linux. We are trying to make it easy for the user, by having the startup HTML/javascript page on the CD determine if the Mozilla browser needs the flash plugin and then make it easy for the user to click on a button to install the flash player.

We're targetting for RedHat Linux 9.2 with Mozilla 1.7, as this is the currently popular Linux setup in Malaysia. To be realistic, we are testing this with a fresh install of RedHat 9.2 and Mozilla 1.7, because we don't expect the users to be doing Linux configuration in order to run the courseware from the CD.

I'm familiar with Linux and can do some configuration, so I can get this to work manually for myself. But we don't expect the users to more than click on a HTML button in order to get the flashplayer plugin to install.

In our javascript, we detected no flash plugin and popedup a window to alert the user to this fact and gave them a button to click on to install.

Once the button is clicked on we initially had the javascript open up the flashplayerinstall.rpm file that we got from Macromedia. With a fresh install, I was amazed that the RPM package manager couldn't be automatically invoked and install the plugin from the rpm package.

As using rpm doesn't work, I'm now considering that I'll have to extract the flash player install tar.gz file to the CD and then run the executable from within the HTML / Javascript page.

Anyone, know how to get the flash player plugin to install from within a HTML page in Mozilla running on RedHat 9.2?

Thanks for any tips or ideas to solve this problem.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    RPM likely doesn't work because you need root privileges to use RPM.

Other than that, I can't help much. Sorry.