Options

MY Custom PC just shuts off auto!!

edited April 2005 in Hardware
My pc that I made is shutting off automatically in around half an hour. At first I thought it was the video card b/c i switched it. So I switched it back and it still does it. The green light on the front stays on so i have to switch the switch ont he PSU until it shuts off and then switch it back.

What could the problem be?? My dad needs the pC :o

EDIT

I just thought of it. Its gatta be the ram right? Must be that PNY stick. GRRR didnt work in my pc either, it would just restart at random

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Well one way to be sure is to run memtest.

http://www.memtest.org
  • edited March 2005
    oo cool. I will do that tomorrow
  • edited March 2005
    Well I didnt do the test but I tried each ram separetly and both of them do not work. It will close

Now I dont have a clue :confused:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    aznherb36 wrote:
    Well I didnt do the test but I tried each ram separetly and both of them do not work...
    Are you getting any error messages when it shuts down?
  • edited March 2005
    No. Now its worse. For some reason it doesnt even power up. I press the button and the fans and CD-rom start up but it shuts down in not even a second. I pulled out the CPU and tried it, along with RAM, HDD and it still does it. Im thinking its the ram that has caused this. because this was the same thing that happened to the asus motherboard

the motherboard fried?
    edited March 2005
    How old is the computer, and what are the specs?

If you have another power supply you can try that might be a good idea. It's a fairly easy way to test things out along those lines and will at least eliminate it as the source of the trouble.
  • edited March 2005
    its got a PNY 512 an old chaintec model mobo, 256 stick from my HP, amd 2500+ WD 80gb.

THe pc isnt really old excep that the mobo is an old model. I had the same PNY stick in the asus mobo and I had about the same problem as i do now, only that on the asus it started up for about 20 seconds. I dare not use that PNY ram again until i test it.

EDIT

It was my PSU. It was the case one. It was so loud to :o Now everythings all set i think ;D

But yea So when something ususaly doesnt work I do anything. until it does or I give up. So i cleared the cmos :rolleyes: Now it says unknown processor, and at the beginning of startup it says something about error cmos but I can continue pressing f1. Is there anyway to get it back adn stuff?
    edited March 2005
    aznherb36 wrote:
    ...It was my PSU. It was the case one. It was so loud too...
    Do you mean the fan in the Power Supply Unit? You should only have one PSU, unless you've got a really modded system. :)

...I cleared the cmos :rolleyes: Now it says unknown processor, and at the beginning of startup it says something about error cmos but I can continue pressing f1. Is there anyway to get it back adn stuff?

Yep. Set the FSB (Front Side Bus) to 166 MHz and the multiplier to 11.

11 X 166 = 1833 which is the actual clock speed of a 2500+ CPU. :thumbsup:

BTW: Since you have questions about the memory, now is the time to test it - while everything else is running properly. Don't make me sic primesuspect on ya. :vimp:
  • edited March 2005
    Of course, my system is rigged like no other. :D yea right, like i could. I wish
  • edited April 2005
    well I thought the PSU was it but it wasnt. Could it be windows xp?? something happened during installation?
  • edited April 2005
    What doesn’t work now? So it starts now without shutting down immediately, right? But it still shuts down after half an hour?
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    ...Since you have questions about the memory, now is the time to test it - while everything else is running properly. Don't make me sic primesuspect on ya. :vimp:
    I'm turning into as big a Johnny-One-Note as our esteemed patriarch prime, but you did run memtest, right? ;)
  • edited April 2005
    The system starts up for like 5 minutes now. Then it shuts down.

Could someone help me on that memory test thing. I guess I will put it on a 3.5 disk. I tried it but Im not sure how

EDIT

wait I ganna try ISO

EDIT

It didnt boot.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Go into the bios and sit and watch the temps on the cpu. Just sit there for 15 minutes or whatever untill it shuts down or hits 55 degrees or so cent.

Those cpu's ran pretty hot. If the HSF is clogged or dirty it could be overheating.

When you say it runs a few minutes is that just sitting in windows idle or are you gaming or what?

Tex
    edited April 2005
    aznherb36 wrote:
    ...Could someone help me on that memory test thing. I guess I will put it on a 3.5 disk...
    Open Windows Explorer or My Computer. Put a blank floppy in the drive. Right-click on the Floppy Drive icon, then left-click on format. You should get a new window like the one in the attached pic. Put a check where the red dot is located. You've now created a bootable floppy disk.

Copy the memtest program to the floppy you just made. Reboot the computer, go into the BIOS, then set your Floppy Drive as the first boot device. Continue booting, taking you to an A:\ prompt.

Type in the name of the memtest program and hit enter. The program should start. After that, just follow the instructions to run the test. The test "loops", so keep an eye on what pass you're on. If things look good after a pass or two you are OK. If you get any errors, the ram is bad.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: Good suggestion, Tex. I type too slow... :D
  • edited April 2005
    I got the CD to boot. It is now testing. SO far so good. all pass. I tihnk the problem might have been the power led, m/b switch, and those other front LED's where not connected right. Reconnected and its booted.
  • edited April 2005
    I had a similiar problem not too log ago. Turned out to be my CPU.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited April 2005
    aznherb36 wrote:
    well I thought the PSU was it but it wasnt. Could it be windows xp?? something happened during installation?

im like 90% sure that its your PSU! That exact same thing happened to me- the green light stayed on in the front, and i had to switch off the PSU. I bought a new Thermaltake PSU, and its been perfect ever since.