'DVD Jon' Reopens iTunes Back Door

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
A group of underground programmers has posted code online they say will reopen a back door in Apple Computer's iTunes store, allowing Linux computer users to purchase music free of copy protection.
The release comes just a day after Apple blocked a previous version of the program, called PyMusique, in part by requiring all iTunes customers to use the latest version of Apple's software.

In a blog posting, Norwegian programmer Jon Johansen, who was previously responsible for releasing software used to copy DVDs online, said he had been successful at reverse engineering the latest iTunes encryption.

Cody Brocious, a Pennsylvania high school student working with Johansen, said they saw the project as "necessary for the Linux community," despite Apple's opposition.
Source: c|net

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited March 2005
    AHAHAHA. Apple = teh Owned.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    No, someone else is going to get owned in the end, and its not going to be Apple I'm afraid. These guys may be smart programmers, but they are pushing the limits of what they can get away with before REALLY pissing off a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't get this necessary for the community crap they keep saying too. So it's necessary for the community to be able to break copyright laws?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    No, someone else is going to get owned in the end, and its not going to be Apple I'm afraid. These guys may be smart programmers, but they are pushing the limits of what they can get away with before REALLY pissing off a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't get this necessary for the community crap they keep saying too. So it's necessary for the community to be able to break copyright laws?

No, but I'd like to be able to copy a song I buy from any store onto any device I please, however many times I please. That's what it's about. I'm not blind or stupid and of course this will get used for piracy, but the bottom line is no music, movie, game, or software will ever again be 100% protected.