ghost and other imaging programs

pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
I'm doing research for my work place about imaging programs. Right now we are using ghost 7.5 and have not had much problems if any with it. Currently we are looking at purchasing Ghost 9.0. Anybody use this before? Any problems or maybe some cool features that you found useful. I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons before we purchase the software. Also, what other imaging programs are out there that you have had hands on experience with? We are also looking at software that can backup systems as well. Thanks for your help

Comments

• tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited March 2005
    We use ghost here extensivelly - we have a large project driven area and need to reconfigure our data entry area for each project - we just have ghost images of the various configs and roll them out - takes me less than 20min to completely do 40 machines or so (depends on the size of the image I am rolling out)

Have currently no need or desire to upgrade
  • edited March 2005
    we use ghost for all our rollouts for new facilities that we do. we typically setup and configue the servers, then make the destop(workstation) image that we want, and put it up on the server. then we start doing batches of em. works great, like stated above, it saves time, and works very well.
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited March 2005
    has anyone heard of acronis true image? been reading some really good reviews about it. I've been using Ghost for the past few years and am pretty satisfied with it. My work place is going through some budget transitions right now so we are looking at where we can cut costs. Acronis is cheaper and they say it's just as good and some even say it's better then ghost. anyone here use it before?
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I use Acronis True Image extensively. It is a great easy to use program.

One thing to note: Ghost 9.0 is not the Ghost you are used to. It is a rebadge of an older program called drive image which Symantec bought the company and immediately replaced Ghost with. I have it also and it works quite well also. It is almost a duplicate of Acronis. Since Symantec immediately went to rebadged drive image to compete with Acronis it should indicate something to you as to who is better at it.

I personally think they are both good programs and work almost the same way. I just stick with Acronis because I'm over the Symantec "bloatware" way of doing things.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    I like Acronis True Image, I found it easier to use, on a personal level , than Ghost.