ViewSonic To Roll Out IP-Based Monitors

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Display vendor ViewSonic plans to roll out network-based monitors that would obviate the need for PCs on every desktop.
The displays will allow channel partners to deploy solutions that link multiple PCs, servers or other content-based systems to a single monitor via any IP connection—wired, wireless or even over a cellular data network.

In a meeting with VARBusiness editors on Wednesday, March 23, ViewSonic executives said the plan is very much a statement direction as the company tries to carve out higher margin niches for its partners in the highly competitive and commoditized display market. The displays under development would use as a sole source of connectivity to computing or other digital sources a RJ45 network connection, a standard Wi-Fi link or a cellular connection.

"We are absolutely in the engineering and R&D development side of this," said Greg Avera, general manager of ViewSonic's wireless and network technologies. "We think we can productize these ideas this year. It's probably not going to be this summer, but it's definitely going to be this year."
Source: VARBusiness

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    this.... this is stunning. I've been waiting for something like this for YEARS
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    This is exactly what I was looking for in a past thread not even a month ago... although I don't really need it much anymore. Still awsome though, I wonder if you'd be able to have your PC in a closet somewhere while using an LCD or something and wireless keyboard and mouse to play games or even do some 3d modeling and crap.

really awsome!
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2005
    new spin on an old concept...

its called a dumb terminal... A monitor and keyboard that are "connected" to a machine elsewhere...

This however opens the doors for home servers that will display information wirelessly to flatpanel displays through out your home. Climate, security, who is at the front door, all on a nice monitors located through out your house all connected to your pc/home server.