Starting overclock rebuilt PC

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited March 2005 in Hardware
I've just done a major rebuild on my gaming rig, new case, modified cooling & new psu and got it all running right so it's time to start overclocking it again.

The 6800nu is now pelt cooled, see here , previous to this I could only push the core to about 425 & the memory to 906mhz. Now I can go to 450 on the core & about 925 on the mem. :)

My first run of 3dmark I finally cracked the 13000 mark :cool: , prior to this I could only get about 12500.

I don't know how much of this is down to the psu or the cooling but either way I'm happy. Just got to see if I can push the cpu & memory any further now, they're currently on a 250fsb with loose timings at present.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    nice rig Jim!

When are you moving to pci-e?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    nice rig Jim!

When are you moving to pci-e?

Thanx Mack,

I'll be moving to pci-e when I can afford it :).

If I'm going to switch then I'll do it when I can afford an sli rig with two top cards; thats means late summer at the earliest or may be not till next year.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    That's a killer 03' score Jimborae! Especially on a NU card, I havent seen many GT's break 13K. Glad to hear that pelt is doing a number on your card!.. Any signs of condensation around the block?

What do you currently have your winchester clocked at? (250x10?)
    edited March 2005
    Thanx mate, no signs of any condensation, I used alot of dielectric grease so that should prevent any problems.

The winnie is currently at 250x10 as you guessed; the rig is not prime stable any higher & i dont know whether its the cpu or board. I can easily push it past 250, upto around 270 but I just can't get it stable.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    The winnie is currently at 250x10 as you guessed; the rig is not prime stable any higher & i dont know whether its the cpu or board. I can easily push it past 250, upto around 270 but I just can't get it stable.

I have very similar issues with my winchester. The source of my problem seems to be the memory controller. I have to use lax timings (2.5-4-4-8 1T) and a 10x multi just to get stable in the 2.6 range. My TCCD easily does 300+ MHz at 2.5-4-3-7 with a low multi. Pretty frustrating when you can't take your ram to it's limits while keeping a good cpu clock.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of those new 'AS' clawhammer 3500+ chips, or I may wait and see what the 'E' revision has in store..
    edited March 2005
    Yeah I'd considered getting an AS Clawhammer too, but it's a lot of money for potentially no gain if my motherboard is the problem. I need to do a bit more investigating & playing with the multipliers to determine the problem.

I've also managed to up my score a fraction to 13083 ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Vey nice Jim!

I am at the same spot w/ my Winiie as well. I was very tempted to go with one of the 'AS' Clawhammer XP3500's as well but will wait as the new cores look to be more promising. If cash allows I will even go to an XP4000 on the new cores.
    edited March 2005
    Cheers Larry,

I haven't really read anything on the upcoming cores, do you have any links to good info?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Not anything onhand in particular. Jut what Omega has posted here and the buzz over at http://www.xtremesystems.org/
    edited March 2005
    Ok so I started pushing the cpu a bit, managed to get it to 280x9. Looks like the stable limit of the cpu is about 2.5ghz but both the board & the cpu can take 280fsb after that I dont know whether its' the ram crapping out.

Anyhow here's my new 3mark 03 score.