Sony Releases New PlayStation Portable

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
First "Star Wars" movies, then Harry Potter books. Now, Sony Corp's new PlayStation Portable is getting the midnight-release treatment reserved for the most hyped of pop culture products.
What remains to be seen is whether the handheld entertainment system can live up to consumer expectations — and whether Sony has manufactured enough to meet demand.

Sony had stocked North American retailers with 1 million units for Thursday's launch, and many stores scheduled midnight hours to meet demand from gamers, the company said Wednesday.

Sony hopes the sleek, portable system — which allows users to play games, view movies and pictures and listen to digital audio — will transcend the traditional young, male gaming demographic.

Both storefront and online retailers have taken pre-orders for the system since it was announced in September. And Sony has sold more than 1.2 million units in Japan since the system's launch there on Dec. 12.
Source: Yahoo

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Gotta love Sony's Dead Pixel Policy! Oh wait they don't have one! You could recieve a new unit with 20 dead pixels and you are just screwed.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    jared wrote:
    Gotta love Sony's Dead Pixel Policy! Oh wait they don't have one! You could recieve a new unit with 20 dead pixels and you are just screwed.

That's very unlikely as LCD's have gotten much better in quality even the cheap crappy ones.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    I think this has been out in Japan for some time already. Unless I'm confusing it with something else my Niece's husband has one. If I'm right, I can tell you that this thing is very, very cool. :cool:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I saw a huge display with like 50 of them at CostCo today. NOBODY was buying them. Nobody was even looking at them. For such a hyped product, this was a pretty ho hum reception.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2005
    if they release the original FF7 for it, ill be foreced to get one.

real FF7, not that advent children junk
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2005
    Armo wrote:
    if they release the original FF7 for it, ill be foreced to get one.

real FF7, not that advent children junk

I Hope I Hope I Hope I Hope I Hope :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: