939 overclockability

abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi,

I'm finally thinking about upgrading to Athlon 64, and i've decided to go socket 939.

Which is the most overclockable 939 processor?

What is currently the best 939 motherboard to get?

Thanks.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    Lots of great 939 procs out now, but you may be best to hold tight for a few more weeks. The new Venice 90nm cores will be hitting the shelves soon, and early indications show that these should be the best bang for the buck in overclocking.

The 939 Winchester 90nm cores were the best, however the newer chips have been very poor in terms of overclocking headroom, compared to the chips pre-christmas 2004. If you can find a week 47-50 chip, they do pretty well, but unless you can actually inspect the chip before buying, chances are you'll get a newer 05 chip from most large retailers.

There is a new 130nm 3500+ chip out, the product code has 'AS' in the number. These are essentially A64 4000+ and FX55 chips that did not make the cut, they have half of the L2 cache disabled, for a total of 512K, and downclocked to 2.2GHz. Some of the CAA2C steppings seem to be doing really well. Most will do 2.6GHz without much extra voltage, and some of the lucky buyers have been getting 2.7-2.9GHz with good cooling. These chips run hotter than the winchesters, so that is also a key factor (good cooling a must).

The DFI NF4 boards are currently hold the 939 overclocking crown, however they are picky boards, and it will take A LOT of work and tweaking to get them to behave the way you want them. Lots of tweakability there. I've been very happy with my NF4 ultra -D. On a negative note, you'll have to migrate to PCI-Express graphics card with one of these boards. If you want to keep your AGP card, the MSI Neo2 NF3 would be a good bet, although I dont have any experience with that board. There is also an Epox NF3 250GB board that is fairing well..

I notice you have BH5, are you planning to bring that over to your A64 rig? You should be able to push that much higher than you do currently on the 939 platform :thumbsup:
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited March 2005
    Yeah. I'll be keeping the BH-5. I about o buy another 512MB corsair BH-5 stick, for a total of 1024MB.

Are early chip on new cores better?

Thanks.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    Yeah. I'll be keeping the BH-5. I about o buy another 512MB corsair BH-5 stick, for a total of 1024MB.

Thanks.
    your question is thoroughly answered in his previous post
    edited March 2005
    abhi63 wrote:

I would stay away from multiple DIMMs. If you use three DIMMs, you will have to give up dual channel operation. Using more than two DIMMs on the 939 platform will also be much harder on the memory controller, and will more than likely limit your overclock. 2x256 BH-5 should overclock really well on 939 (especially with the DFI, which allows very high vdimm). If you want to move to 1GB, I would sell off your BH-5 (which is actually worth a lot of money these days) and pick up a matched pair of 512MB sticks. You'll be much better off that way.

Hard to tell if the early/initial chips (venice/san diego) will OC better than the ones coming out in future weeks. It usually works opposite to that. I know when the newcastles hit the scenes, the later weeks did much better than the early ones. As a general rule of thumb, newer, later produced cores OC better, however as we have seen with Winchester, this is certainly not always the case.. Luck of the draw sometimes I'm afraid. Chips with identical steppings often perform very differently.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited March 2005
    Ok. So about the memory. I want 1GB of RAM, so if 3 sticks doesn't work with Dual Channel, then i'll have to get 2 512s.

What's a good overlockable RAM these days?

BH-5 or TCCD?

I saw these articles the other day saying BH-5 was back :wow: :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55575

http://www.hothardware.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=14&threadid=25811&enterthread=y

Thanks.
    edited March 2005
    Those twinmos dimms you linked use the 'UTT' ic's which are not BH5, but behave in the same 'voltage scaling' behavior. You'll need 3.2+ volts to really bring that memory out of it's shell. Beware, some of those twinmos 512's are not using the UTT ic's. If you want a guarantee of getting 'good' voltage scaling ic's, check out the OCZ Gold VX series of memory. A little more expensive, but they pretty much all do 250FSB at 2-2-2-5 with 3.5Volts.

If you prefer high FSB, TCCD is still where-its-at. OCZ Platinum Rev.2 PC3200 is a good choice, as well as some of GSkills' offerings. TCCD has the potential to do 300+MHz FSB (DDR600) with some loose timings.

Unfortunatly, many A64 chips have limiting memory controllers, so reaching 300+ MHz at a decent cpu overclock is difficult. Hopefully the new venice memory controller improvements will help. There was some testing being done at XS, and it seems that the new 3500+ venice didn't have any trouble operating at 320MHz 1:1!. My winchester for example will not clock well with anything above 260MHz 1:1 unless I use a low multiplier.

TCCD has been discontinued by samsung, so they will become more and more scarce. Thankfully these new UTT and similar chips are in huge supply, and turning up in all sorts of value ram (even one of OCZ's value ram products are using these unbinned VX chips, but you have to check the product code). Just remember, that if you dont have a DFI NF4/3 board, you'll pretty much have to get an OCZ DDR booster to take advantage of that memory. TCCD only requires 2.7-2.9volts, so you should be fine with that..

Definatly get 2x512 over any other combination of three sticks.. You'll get much better overclocks, and dual channel operation (which does make a difference of 10-15% in A64, as opposed to NF2, where the improvement is almost nil).

Happy Shopping :D
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    What do you think of the OCZ 3500EB (Enhanced Bandwidth)?

Thanks.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Those twinmos dimms you linked use the 'UTT' ic's which are not BH5, but behave in the same 'voltage scaling' behavior. You'll need 3.2+ volts to really bring that memory out of it's shell. Beware, some of those twinmos 512's are not using the UTT ic's. If you want a guarantee of getting 'good' voltage scaling ic's, check out the OCZ Gold VX series of memory. A little more expensive, but they pretty much all do 250FSB at 2-2-2-5 with 3.5Volts.

Which motherboard gives 3.5Volts?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    Ok. So about the memory. I want 1GB of RAM, so if 3 sticks doesn't work with Dual Channel, then i'll have to get 2 512s.

What's a good overlockable RAM these days?

BH-5 or TCCD?

I saw these articles the other day saying BH-5 was back :wow: :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55575

http://www.hothardware.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=14&threadid=25811&enterthread=y

Thanks.

Twinmos BH-5 & CH-5 is back, Komplett had them in stock last week but it sold out very quickly. They claim they're getting more in stock but they've put the price up. Also the CH-5 stuff is supposed to be alot better than the old ch-5.

Linky to BH-5
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the link. The price is £46.00 now for TwinMOS Speed Premium PC3500 512MB CL2.5 Winbond BH-5, 32*8/16chip, 433mhz, 184-P, what was it before?

Thanks.
    edited April 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    Which motherboard gives 3.5Volts?

As far as I know, the only retail mainboard that gives 3.5 volts in the DFI Lanparty NF4 boards. Without that board, you'll need to get an OCZ DDR Booster, which in some cases, can provide up to 3.9 volts. Unfortunatly, not all boards work with the booster, so you'd have to check with OCZ first.
    edited April 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    Thanks for the link. The price is £46.00 now for TwinMOS Speed Premium PC3500 512MB CL2.5 Winbond BH-5, 32*8/16chip, 433mhz, 184-P, what was it before?

Thanks.

Well when I linked to it I think it was around £50 so it looks like the price has gone down again, but originally it was £43 iirc.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    Hi,

Is the Venice core out yet?

Can someone give me a link where to buy it from?

Thanks.
    edited April 2005
    No it's not available in the shops yet, probably take a 2-3 weeks to hit our shores.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    What about the in the US?

Thanks.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    What difference does the PCB make in RAM?

What's Brainpower PCB?

Thanks.
    edited April 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    What difference does the PCB make in RAM?

What's Brainpower PCB?

Thanks.

Brainpower is just a non JDEC standard PCB, which is supposed to allow for better overclocking, and better tolerance for higher voltages. Most OCZ products are produced on Brainpower PCB. TCCD modules on Brainpower PCB for example are usually better overclockers than standard jdec pcb.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    So when will the Venice cores become available in the US? :D

Thanks.
    edited April 2005
    Probably about the same time as they will become available in the UK. Patience my young Padwan :)
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    Jim,

You know the BH-5's on Komplett. Are they the same as this on Newegg?
    edited April 2005
    Don't know mate but UTT is good stuff too.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    So UTT and the new BH-5 are different ? :confused:

Which is better? :scratch:
    edited April 2005
    abhi63 wrote:
    So UTT and the new BH-5 are different ? :confused:

Which is better? :scratch:

Hmm not sure but there's along thread about this over on xtreme systems, sorry but I don't have time to read it all.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    I think the new BH-5 has 1A4T at the end of the part number and the new CH-5/UTT has AA4T at the end of the part number.

I think UTT is only good with alot of volts, 3.3V+.

I think the Newegg Twinmos is the CH-5 Twinmos in Komplett.

Can anyone confirm the above information?

Thanks.
    edited April 2005
    Having had a brief scan of posts over at xtremesystems the Twinmos stuff you're linking to at Newegg is no longer Winbond UTT.

Also BH-5, like UTT, is only really good once you start pumping loads of volts through it, but I guess you're familiar with that as you have some already. :)
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    I've just bought 2x 512MB of the Twinmos BH-5 from Komplett. :D

I'll let you know how it runs. It's out of stock at the moment, so it might be about 2 weeks :shakehead
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    Just came home now and my memory was sitting there waiting for me!

Here are some pics of the new BH-5:

4g3ypu

4g3yv9

4g3ywi

1A4T means BH-5 AA4T means CH-5/UTT

4g3z0j

Can't wait to see how far these can go!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    post your overclocks and benchmarks when you get around to it :D
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    Does anyone know if the OCZ DDR Booster Diagnostic device is compatible with the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.0?

Since I can only give it 2.9V max, the overclock isn't looking too good :(

On my Corsair BH-5, I could give it 2.9V and get up to 235MHz with 2-2-2-11, on the Twimos BH-5 i'm giving it 2.9V and it's struggling to do 225Mhz at 2-2-2-11.

The new BH-5 must need more juice to get higher overclocks.

But i've heard that only a few of the old BH-5's did 250Mhz at 2-2-2-11 at 3.3V, but that the minimum this Twinmos should do is 250MHz at 2-2-2-11 at 3.3V+.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited April 2005
    I fixed the problem.

I changed the bios to a CPC OFF bios, and now I can get 235 stable at 2-2-2-11, which is the same as my old BH-5.

Once I get my A64 system though, with a Venice core, and DFI MB, i'll really be able to see how far these beauties can go.

EDIT// I also think that it couldn't handle 2.9V before because I didn't burn it in, but now I've had it Prime for about 14 hours on toture test.

I've also done the memory bandwidth benchmark in Sandra for around 12 hours.