a8n-sli help new setup

charbarcharbar uk
edited March 2005 in Hardware
please has anyone had experience at setting up one of these mo/bo`s from scratch? all the components are new. want to set up maxtor 300gb sata drive as the main boot drive. read that you need to set up the sata drivers when installing windows xp pro. but most info goes on about raid,which i dont want as yet. do i need to install the sata drivers with win xp pro service pack 2,or are the drivers allready on the cd??
please can you help???????? :scratch:

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2005
    Once you have the system assembled and the bios configured. You just insert your windows cd, boot, then hit F6 a few times. Even if you are not running raid, you will need to install the drivers for the sata controller so that windows can see the drives properly. After you hit F6 windows will continue to copy over some initial files, it will then ask you to install the controller drivers, you will do this by pressing S. It will then ask you to insert a floppy with your drivers on it. Thats the catch, if your system did not come with a sata controller floppy with drivers you will need another system to create the floppy from the motherboard cd, which contains the drivers.

99% of the time windows will not precontain the drivers you need, unless you created your own windows installation cd with a program like nlite or something...

Post back if your have more questions...

G
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    I don't think nlite can handle boot drivers either. Thats a lot differant then just adding chipset (sound, lan etc...) drivers. THAT nlite handles fine.

Tex
  • charbarcharbar uk
    edited March 2005
    cheers guys going to give it a go this morning